Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

2007 Etec 200HO turns but wont start CHECK Engine light no horn.

In November of 2019 in NY we had a very cold week below freezing. My motor was up. when I went down to the boat she would not start just turned over and the check engine light was on and no warnihg horn. When I hooked the computer up to her she had about 30 something codes listed. I started to do some testing and searching but it was time  to pull the boat for the winter.

The weather warmed up in December so I went down to the boat and plugged in the computer and to my surprise all the codes where gone and she started and I was able to do the self winterize method.

Fastward to now, with Covid-19 I did not look to do anything with the boat untill this past week, I went down to the boat and every thimg was fine I screwd in a hose and started her up and ran her a few minutes.

I lauched the boat yesterday Friday 5/22 and was motoring out of the harbar to open her up to blowout the winterizeation when I relised I left the tell tale plug out, I stopped rasied the motor screwed her in lowered the motor and back to turning over not starting and check engine. Had to get towed in, reconnected the computer and all the codes whee back.

I'm thinking something is wrong with EMM like someting is moving and shorting or opening when she is raised maybe from when she was up and frozen. maybe water was stuck in there and did some thing.

Here are the codes from the report

11 | Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Out Of Idle Range
12 | Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit Fault
14 | Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) ABOVE Range
18 | 55 Volt Circuit ABOVE Range
23 | EMM Temperature Sensor Circuit Fault
24 | EMM Temperature BELOW Range
41 | Engine Temp Sensor Circuit Fault (Port or Single)
42 | Engine Temperature BELOW Range (Port or Single)
44 | Barometric Pressure Sensor Circuit Fault
46 | Barometric Pressure ABOVE Range
47 | Air Temperature Circuit Fault
48 | Air Temperature BELOW Range
51 | Fuel Injector Circuit #1 OPEN
52 | Fuel Injector Circuit #2 OPEN
53 | Fuel Injector Circuit #3 OPEN
54 | Fuel Injector Circuit #4 OPEN
55 | Fuel Injector Circuit #5 OPEN
56 | Fuel Injector Circuit #6 OPEN
61 | Fuel Injector Circuit #1 SHORTED
62 | Fuel Injector Circuit #2 SHORTED
63 | Fuel Injector Circuit #3 SHORTED
64 | Fuel Injector Circuit #4 SHORTED
65 | Fuel Injector Circuit #5 SHORTED
66 | Fuel Injector Circuit #6 SHORTED
67 | Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit Fault (Starboard)
68 | Engine Temperature BELOW Range (Starboard)
71 | Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit Fault Detected
73 | Oil Pressure ABOVE Expected Range
78 | Sensor Supply Voltage Fault
87 | Exhaust Pressure Circuit Fault

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2007 Etec 200HO turns but wont start CHECK Engine light no horn.

i dont have experience with etec ECU, but i have lots of experience with stand alone ECUs for racing cars.
eith that kind of errors i would check
5v circut
sensor ground
and ground

look for damaged cables and shortcut somewhere at damaged spot

Highlighted
Skipper

Thx for the reply, I've been looking and looking at all the wires and connection so far I can't see anything

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Is the CHECK ENGINE light on continuously or flashing?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

That many sensor out of range and sensor fault codes is indicative of the analog +5 voltage not being at th nominal 5.00 volts.  Most likely, the analog +5 bus is being pulled lower than normal due to a peripheral sensor failure, +5 analog signal wire shorting to the engine block or other ground, or possible failure of the analog +5 power supply within the EMM.

I might begin searching by disconnecting all sensors which are powered by the +5 analog supply and see if most of the faults go away.  This would be done with key on/engine off.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Admiral

Do you have a water pressure gauge or display that uses a pressure transducer on the engine block?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

The Check Engine light is steady always on. No water presure sensore.

Rained heavy yesterday hope to go down today and take a look

Thanks to all

Highlighted
Admiral

If it still does not start up, with the key OFF hold the primer ball with the arrow pointed up and squeeze until rock hard. Unplug the VSA wire connector that goes to the electric fuel pump. Do not touch the throttle, make sure it is at idle in neutral. See if engine starts. If so, it may not stay running long or it may only idle, that means the electric pump is probably corroded or rusted tight and drawing too much current to run the rest of the motor.

Highlighted
Skipper

5216052_Diagnostics_Monitor_ETEC.jpg

Highlighted
Skipper

Are the System and batt voltage reading working if engine is key on not running, these are what I got this morning