Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

2007 Evinrude Etec 150 low speed sputtering

Has anyone had any issues with slow speed sputtering with their Etec? It starts and idles like a champ, HOLE SHOT like a champ, but if I slowy advance the throttles it sputters for 1-2 seconds then TAKES OFF!

Any info would be welcomed.

Dawgman

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2007 Evinrude Etec 150 low speed sputtering

See your dealer to make sure the motor has the latest software in it and that the air box modification is done per a factory service bulletin. Has the motor had it's 3 yr.-300 hr service completed recently, idle and running temperatures tested, spark plugs gapped and indexed, fuel pressures checked, and the exhaust pressure sensor tube cleaned or replaced?

Does the propeller allow the motor to run between 5500-5600 rpm at full throttle when the boat is normally loaded with people, fuel, and gear?

All these items either individually or in combination can cause poor drivability with your motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

BluewaterBill,

Thanks for the reply, I'm currently in Afghanistan and I bought the boat without being there. I used a marine surveyor and when he did his test it had a small sputter but we both chalked it up to old fuel. The motor only has 105 hours on it. After buying it I had it taken directly to the local certified Evinrude shop.  We have a good history with the owner, he has been working on our boats since I was a kid. Even with the low hours I told them to give it the 300 hour check. A week later they called for my father to pick it up and a week later he took it out where it sputtered once and never again. I also had them drain all the 87 octane fuel and I replaced it with non ethanol fuel. Well he went out fishing yesterday and after power up from the dock it sputter briefly at the throttle up and cleared up and was fine. After leaving drop #2 it did the same thing. Drop number 3 it sputtered to the point he had to pull it all the way back and just went full throttle and it was gone.

I have had Evinrude and Johnson my entire young life. Believe it or not my last boat had a seadrive on it and that monster would drink fuel but run like a scolded dog hands down!!!!! I sold that boat and bought this one. I hope this is something simple. I can't live with it if it is something the Etec is known for and can't be fixed. 

Well it is going back to the shop on Tuesday morning and I am printing out the page with your suggestions to go along with it. My message to them is that I don't want it back until that is fixed!

Dawgman

Highlighted
Admiral

Ask the dealer to water test the boat to duplicate the problem when you accelerate slowly while checking the fuel pressures and monitoring the engine with the diagnostic software on a laptop.  There is a "flight recorder" feature in the software to watch the engine parameters when a problem shows up.

If you are in the military over there, thank you for your service.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Dealer changed my TPS and the issue is gone. Took it out two days in a row and i am pleased. I noticed the change over from high to low but it goes right through it unlike before.

Highlighted
Admiral

Glad to hear that things are OK now. Have a great season on the water.

Highlighted
Mate

what is the TPS, i have the same problem and need it fixed

Highlighted
Admiral

A TPS is the throttle position sensor and that translates the amount of throttle opening to a voltage reading that the engine's computer can interpret.

This article may help  you understand your motor and its operation better:

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Performance/Black-Box-Mystique-What-is-an-EMM-and-how-does-it-work/...

Take your motor to an authorized dealer have it inspected by a factory trained technician. There are a number of  things or conditions that can cause a "sputtering". It is like telling your doctor that you have a stomach ache and asking what it could be, without an examination.

Highlighted
Skipper

Took The outboard to Becks outboard and they got it right. The first mech, who was Evinrude certified, changed the tps only. The motor improved but i just felt it wasn't right because it still had that issue and it would not winterize. Took it to Becks here in Jacksonville FL  and they pluged it into the computer and found that when the TPS was changed it wasn't calibrated correctly and that was confusing the motor. They also found out the motor wasn't reaching operating temp and fixed that too. I bought the motor used from a shady dealer in clearmont and the first evinride tech couldnt handle it. I took it to a master tech at Becks and she has been solid ever since. Don't be afriad to get a second opinion, thats what i did and it turned out well for me. That motor will always have a small delay when going fron low to high speed but now it is normal and most times you can throttle right past it or not even notice it.

Highlighted
Admiral

I'm glad to hear that you find a good tech who got things straightened out.

Today's outboards are nothing like our father's and grandfather's motors and they require special training to understand all the systems.

Gone are the days of fixing them with an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver. Now we use laptops and digital meters to service these computer-controlled EPA approved low-emission engines.