Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

2007 evinrude etec wont start

Motor was running and then died after i latched the lid back on. Noticed the latch had rubbed the orange wire with purple stripe. Taped raw spot up. Now the engine wont start. Spins over fine but wont crank? The orange and purple wire goes to the middle coil. Unplugged plug wire off the top coil and hooked a spare plug into it and didnt see any spark? Any idea?????
Skipper

Re: 2007 evinrude etec wont start

Motor ran fine before i closed the latch. Hasnt cranked since. Could it have messed up and shorted out something or could the wire be half broke and not send voltage to one coil causing the others not to work?
Admiral

Check all the connections and harness as the motor cover may have somehow dislodged a critical plug in the wiring circuits.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Ok i will check that. Like i say as soon as i closed the latch it hit that raw wire and the motor cut off. I have taped the wire back up. That wire runs to the middle coil from the emm box. Which each coil has seperate wires going to them. Could the lid shorting that wire mess up the emm? Or is there a fuse that goes to that part? Or will the motor not send fire to the other coils with that wire having bad spot going to one coil? I know the engine fuse thats under the lid is fine and isnt blowed
Admiral

Anything is possible.

You say that there is no spark. If there is no short in the black-yellow wire on the motor or in the boat, then it is time for a trained technician with the proper tools to troubleshoot your engine.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Ok i was wrong. I actually have spark. But not getting any fuel. Cant hear the fuel pump coming on or anything. I sprayed just a shot of starting fluid to see if it would fire and it fired right up and ran just a sec and then cut off. Misted a lil fuel in cylinders and same thing. Which a couple weeks back the fuel pump was humming loud. Almost as loud as the tilt trim sounds. Is there anyway for me to check the fuel pump? Or could that wire shorting possibly put a code in engine to make it in safe mode or sumthn and make it not come on
Admiral

Now I have to know the exact model number of your E-TEC because we are getting into specifics.

What is the complete model that is written on your serial number tag on the motor?

Skipper

E90DSLSCM.
Mate

Got a40hp etec can someone till me where the serial no are on it ;can u get the Emm fixed my motor won’t start 

Captain

Tri750, it would be best to start a new thread for your particular engine.
The EMM cannot be repaired, it is a replacement part but it is rare for them to fail. A no start condition would need to be diagnosed with compression, ignition system and fuel system tests.
The engine serial number should be on a tag on the engine mounting bracket. It is also stamped into a metal disc usually on the top of the engine, I'd have to check for the exact location on the 40 hp.