Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: 2008 225 e-tec over heat on port side.

That was one of the problems when I called evinrude a couple of years ago they could not tell me what the pressure or what the engine temps were suppose to be at different speeds. Also it would be nice to know what temps should I see on boat temp gauge. My lower unit does not have the removable water intakes. When I read all of the other post I see most peoples pressure is up around 26psi the most I ever had was 16psi which might be fine when water temp is below 70 deg and out side air temp is the same so the big question is this a design flaw in the lower unit with the fixed intakes. Do you know if evinrude feels that this lower unit supplies enuff water flow for this engine. It just seam after reading all of the other post is that a engine of this size should have more water pressure. Do you know of a good dealer in the Cincinnati area.

Skipper

Is  their any one out their that still ownes a 2008 225 e-tec with the L2 lower unit on it. The L2 lower unit is the one with the fixed water intakes. I would like to know what kind of water pressure you have since evinrude can not come up with a answer.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The older L1 gearcase has the fixed cast-in water inlet holes. The L2 uses the plastic replaceable screens just like the M and M2 gearcases do.

If you have an L1 gearcase on a 2008 HO engine, then someone switched your original one with an older one.  The HO models with the 1:72 L2 gearcase were replaced by the factory with the larger diameter but heavier duty  M2 gearcase - recognizable with the 6 water inlet holes in the nose of the "bullet."

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

The only thing I do know is that I have the fixed water inlet screans and that at one time it was changed out by evinrude.  That is what I was told by the dealer. When He look up the vin. How can I find out what happened and what should be on this engine.

Admiral

After some additional research it seems that some early production 225 HO motors came with the L1 gearcase then models came equipped with the L2 later in the year.

If a gearcase had to switched out under warranty after 04-2011, there was a bulletin issued for dealers on how to convert to the heavy-duty M2 gearcase and a kit provided.

Your gearcase may not even be the problem if it delivers enough clean water to the powerhead. Start with a new 5001595 pump assembly, make sure it is installed correctly, and monitor the water pressure at 500 rpm intervals.  A good factory trained tech should be able to troubleshoot the system if the temp problem remains.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Ok thanks I will try a new water pump assy but is their a pressure chart that tells what it should be. That is the problem no one  knows for sure what it is for this lower unit. 

Admiral

your dealer has the information