Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2008 Etec sputtering around 2000-2800 rpm

Hello all! My 2008 Etec has been running great however recently began to run real rough between 2000 -2800 rpm. It has Fresh fuel and The fuel filter and water separator Were replaced this past June. Took it to a reputable Evinrude shop near by and they ran diagnostics, told me there is nothing wrong with the engine Itself and it’s not throwing any codes. They replaced spark plugs and fuel prime bulb (it was old and they didn’t like that it was soft). Took it out after that (Added some sea foam to fuel) and it certainly runs better but still is rough and sounds like it’s skipping from 2000-2800.

This shop is not on the water and told me it sounds good while in their shop but if it still has a problem then I should bring it to a shop on the water who can take it out and listen to the problem while under way.

Starts great. Runs great at idle and at top end. As soon as you accelerate past 3000 or so she runs awesome.

Is there anything I’m missing? Something else I should check? I’ve done some reading on this site and see that for some of these motors this is “acceptable” as it runs through different stages. Could this be the case?

I appreciate any help. Thanks, Brian
Model# E115DPXSUC
Serial# 5181326
Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2008 Etec sputtering around 2000-2800 rpm

This could be due to the load on the engine at that particular engine speed. Check your maximum rpm at wide open throttle with a normal load. It should be 5500 - 5800 rpm.
You may need to go to a prop with less pitch to change the engine load at cruise speed.
Also that engine uses an exhaust back pressure hose with a restrictor in it. The fittings and restrictor can become clogged with carbon and affect load sending without setting a code.
Highlighted
Mate

Excellent, I’ll check on both of those items. As I remember at WOT it is somewhere around 6000, but I’ll check it again to have a more accurate reading.

Where is the back pressure hose and restrictor located on this engine?

Thank you very much for the input so far.

Brian
Highlighted
Captain

There are two hoses on the left side of the EMM. The smaller of the two hoses is the back pressure hose. The bottom of the hose goes to a fitting on the bottom of the block, pull hose off and spray with carb cleaner to clean the barb. There is a brass restrictor about an inch into the upper end of the hose, remove hose, blow compressed air in from bottom of hose while holding a rag on upper end to remove the restrictor. Soak restrictor in carb cleaner or engine tuner. There is a very small opening in the restrictor. Try to run a wire from a bread twist tie through the opening.
Highlighted
Mate

Great thank you again! I will report back.

Brian