Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

2009 200hp etech Lower unit

Hey this is my first post. I have a 2009 200hp etech. I am trying to determine if the lower unit is a L or L2. Model number E200DSLSEM. I am going to pull the Bearing Housing out but need to buy the correct tool to get the job done. Thank you.

Admiral

Re: 2009 200hp etech Lower unit

The quickest way to tell the difference between the L1 and the L2 gearcase is to look at the water intakes on the sides.  The L1 has molded in holes with a plastic screen behind them. The L2 has replaceable black plastic intake screens held in place with a Phillips screw.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Heck I carried my lower unit to two different BRP locations and was told it was a L1. I the lower unit does have the water intake screens as you described. I have removed the Phillips screw but they do not simply come out. They seem pressed in or just stuck. Can this be a mod to the L1 water intake screen?

I also have a heck of a time removing the wedge fastener. Any ideas with how to remove that.

Thank you and any one else's response.
Admiral

The L1 gearcase does not have black replaceable screens. They sometimes wedge into place and may need to be tapped lightly to remove. If you are unlucky and break one, don't worry, they are fairly cheap.

Depending on the amount of corrosion on the bearing carrier wedge, tap it from side to side to start is moving. In severe saltwater situations, heating with a torch or chiseling it out may have to be done.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

If this is the L2 lower unit. Can I still use the standard gear pulley system to remove the Bearing carrier or do I have to fork over the money for the "special" bearing carrier remover for the the L2.
I sure yall heard these questions before, bear with me please.
Admiral

It is highly recommended that you obtain the factory service manual to study and understand before atempting any repairs.

“L2” TYPE GEARCASES
Remove the two screws, washers, and retainers
holding the propeller shaft bearing housing

Remove the propeller shaft bearing housing from
the gearcase using:
• Propeller Shaft Bearing Housing Puller Kit,
P/N 354060.
DO NOT use tools designed to push on the propeller
shaft. Pushing force against the propeller
shaft could damage the forward gear thrust bearing
or thrust washer.
IMPORTANT: The L2 type gearcase uses the
adaptor ring included with puller kit.
Install the threaded adaptor from the puller kit on
to the propeller shaft until seated.

Skipper

Thank you
Skipper