Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2009 250 etec overheat alarm

I have a 2008 (or 2009) 250 etec, 400 hours, that occasionally sets a "hot" light and goes into limp mode for about 15 or 30 seconds. It has happened 3 times starting December 2018. The boat is stored December to April. It then goes off and the engine runs perfectly. Each time it has happened it was at lower RPM, 2000 - 2500. The water pump was replaced 2 years ago at 300 hours, thermostats replaced this winter, EMM hoses checked, etc. It does not lose water pressure. The printout shows it ran at 194 - 212 degrees for a total of 107 seconds, each bank. The EMM did not overheat. I flush the motor after each use and service it annually. Model number is E250DPXSEB serial number 5243756. It set fault code 43. Any thoughts? 

Captain

Re: 2009 250 etec overheat alarm

[ Edited ]

@kbshaw11 wrote:

I have a 2008 (or 2009) 250 etec, 400 hours, that occasionally sets a "hot" light and goes into limp mode for about 15 or 30 seconds. It has happened 3 times starting December 2018. The boat is stored December to April. It then goes off and the engine runs perfectly. Each time it has happened it was at lower RPM, 2000 - 2500. The water pump was replaced 2 years ago at 300 hours, thermostats replaced this winter, EMM hoses checked, etc. It does not lose water pressure. The printout shows it ran at 194 - 212 degrees for a total of 107 seconds, each bank. The EMM did not overheat. I flush the motor after each use and service it annually. Model number is E250DPXSEB serial number 5243756. It set fault code 43. Any thoughts? 

Did it start happening after you replaced the thermostats?

Skipper

Have a 2011 250HO and randomly does same thing. Water pressure stays sane when alarm sounds. Usually goes off for 30 second then light goes off. Run a Kat Hull so I always relate it to that. Trim down a little when goes off. Idk.
Mate

No. It did it last time out in December. I had it serviced at an Evinrude dealer to check faults. They checked the EMM hoses and did a printout on the motor. I did the thermostats. It was spotless in the thermostat housings.It has done it twice this year. Otherwise runs great. The waterpump was done two years ago at 300 hours as scheduled. There is always water from the pisser but I know that is not the only indicator. There is proper pressure in the engine. Never had an issue until late last year.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

What codes were stored in memory ?

Has the cooling system been tested are aerated water being ingested? The dealer knows how to check the motor for that  with a clear hose and a water test.

Has the pressure relief valve been inspected and checked to see if it needed replacent or the weaker spring installed?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Fault 43 was stored. Each bank hit 199 degrees +/- 1/2 degrees for a very short period. Nothing was replaced except the thermostats which I did this winter prior to putting it back in and having the dealer check for any blockage in the EMM hoses. It is in salt water but I actually didn't suck sand all year!! I will ask them about the relief valve spring. The problem now is that the boat is in the water for the season 150 away from my normal dealer. I called Evinrude technical but they will only talk to a dealer.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Code 43 is overheat Port Head

90° V6 Models: Engine Temperature > 185° F (85° C) above 2000 RPM for 60 seconds activates warning light and horn;
90° V6 Models: Engine Temperature > 194°F (90°C) above 2000 RPM for 3 seconds activates S.A.F.E.
Engine limited to 1200 RPM. Check cooling system

PRV controls ALL cooling water flow above approx 2000 rpms where it opens and bypasses the thermostats.

Check the PRV for any debris or wear/damage preventing valve from opening fully above 2000 rpms

Check the WP for impeller or cup damage/wear

Install an E. water pressure sensor and NMEA2000 network to digital gauge/MFD to protect your expensive investment.

PRVs and water pumps are wear service replacement items.  There have been improvement/upgrades to both for the 90d big blocks over the years since 2009

Mate

Thanks for the input. My dealer is checking on the PRV update which has a service warranty campaign ifrom 2012 which I do not think was done. The pump is only 85 hours old so that "should" be good. All work has been done at an authorized Evinrude dealer I have dealt with for years. Don't think I'll install the NMEA quite yet though!! I betting it's an issue with the PRV. Since it is not all the time, sporatic, like 3 times out of 15. I sense it may be the PRV stuck or not closing properly like the bulletin says. My year and model is effected. When the light goes off it is fine for the rest of the day at any RPM. Has only happened at 2000 +/- RPM after longer no wake zones. I am a car dealer and understand what happens with the motors, etc and know what to look for. If it were and Audi or VW I could just go ask one of my techs, but it isn't!! I guess I know what I'll be doing next time I'm at the boat!!