Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2009 E-TEC 200 ho

Bought a boat got a 200 ho. 243 hours pinion gear broke and took more with it is this typical of Evinrude e tec engines. And the computer on the dash says over 190 degrees after idle alittle, but temperatures goes down when I run. Maybe head gasket. I’ve all ways had Mercury is this typical also
2009 E-Tec
200 HO
Admiral

Re: 2009 E-TEC 200 ho

A broken pinion gear, on any make of outboard motor, is most often the delayed result of hitting something in the water. The propshaft should also be checked for any out of true if the gearcase is being rebuilt. Most of the time, broken teeth on a gear chew up the bearings and the finely machined bearing surfaces requiring a new gearcase assembly.

As to the engine temperatures, your motor is at least 9 years old, should have had a minimum of 3 complete dealer services or is due now. The water pump, thermostats, and the pressure relief valve assembly need inspection for temperature related issues along with a test of water pressure at all speeds.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Mr. Bill you’re right about the gear trouble is nothing but has hit the gear case of course I have only used it 14 hours but no sign of the lower unit hitting anything the paint still on it maybe a net or trot line or could have been a bad gear, seen them. Every thing was fine stopped to fish and when we ready to go it wouldn’t go in gear forward but would go in reverse so I raised the motor and turned the prop and then it went forward and reverse so I knew something broke down there so trolled to the ramp yea metal every where but none in the carrier not one flake and the case seems to be ok the drive shaft bearings had flat spots. No water in it either, water pump looks new still had seam where it rubbed the cup. And thanks on the temp issue, I’ll check on that
2009 E-Tec
200 HO
Mate

What should water pessure be at idle at idle seating still read out and gauge says 0 have to raise rpm to show any pressure. I have not got the gear case back on ordered the gears and bearings thursday just going by the 14 hours I was able to use the boat before the gears went out.

2009 E-Tec
200 HO