Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2010 e-tec 130 overheat and steaming

Hi, John here... I have 170 hrs on the 130 e-tec, bought it new.

Never had an issue with steam until 2-3 years ago. At least I never noticed it.

Started out bairly noticable and now steams heavy when coming off off high speed.

Have had two high temp warnings during the last two outings a week apart

Both occured before reaching planning speed (around 3,300 rpm).

Prior to that I had one high temp warning after coming off of plan but it was a couple of minutes after slowing down while running at 2,000 rpm looking for a dropoff.

Don't know if the two are related but I'm concerned as I go to Canada every year and usually end up 30 or so miles from the boat landing where we put in. 

I don't want to have to use my 8 horse kicker to travel back!

Could the water pump impeller have worn out enough to slowly reduce the flow a slower speed and creat steam and overheating? Would an oversize water intake screen help water flow?

Or is there something more sinister happening here?

Thanks, John

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2010 e-tec 130 overheat and steaming

Your motor is almost 8 years old and should have had at least 2 new water pumps installed at the required 3 yr service intervals. From your description, chances are it needs a new complete pump kit (especially if it was never changed) to prevent problems on your vacation.

Be sure to mention to your dealer that you have also had overheat warbubgs and to test thermostats and pressure relief valve also as they could contribute to your situation.

Insist on a complete factory water pump kit and not just an impeller.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Ok! Just the kind of timely informatoin I needed! Thank you, John

Highlighted
Skipper

Just one more question...does it make any sense to have the over-size water inlet screens also installed? I read some where in the e-nation posts that they are available. 

Oh and who are you? Are you associatred with Evinrude?

I'd want my dealer to know the support/knowledge behind my service request.

Highlighted
Admiral

Oversize water inlet screens only help if there is an aeration problem with the cooling water going into the engine.

We are E-NATION, an Evinrude online magazine produced by Evinrude and devoted to everything Evinrude.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.