Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2011 150 hp etec

700 hrs on my engine, once it warms up the alarms start going off every 5 mins.   quite annoying, i had the 3 year service done this spring. etec dealer says it may be the tach ?   They are quite busy this time of year, i hate to lay the boat up mid-july.  Any help would be appreciated

Captain

Re: 2011 150 hp etec

What alarm or better yet what light in the I hope genuine Tacho. If check engine could be water in fuel.

Admiral

Hi,

Can you elaborate on "alarms going off every 5 minutes?" What warning lights come on?

Which alarms?  Do they stop then come on 5 minutes later? Type of boat, prop size and style, and top rpm?

We need details to better answer your question.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

all 3 warning lights on tac light up,, check oil,temp, alarm starts beeping,then goes off.  Only once the engine warms up.  3 year maintence was done by etec dealer, no issues with this engine.

thanks for help !

Skipper

haha missed Bill's last questions. Boat is 20' grady white overnighter.  14" aluminum prop, rpms max out at 5000

Hope this helps you help me !

thanks again

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I have to keep asking for more details to narrow down the problem.

When the lights come on then off every 5 minutes, does the horn stay on for about 10 seconds or do the lights come on then sequentially turn off and the horn beeps once, that same way as when you first turn the key on and it goes through its self-test?

If your motor only turns 5000 rpm at full throttle, you are way overpropped and lugging the motor or there is a linkage or power problem not allowing the engine to put out its rated power. What size is the prop and what kind of speed do  you get at WOT?

You have 2 separate situations that have to be resolved.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.