Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

2011 200HO

I have an issue with engine power. the engine was purchased from a surplus dealer via boat mechanic. the ECU had 11 or 12 hours recorded. it is mounted to a 26' striper walk around. Its cruising speed is about 24 kts @4000 rpm. Haven't figured top speed due to so cal waters. During a recent trip it rpms started to fluctuate between 3500-4000rpm. took it to the mechanic and he found TPS had come loose. easy repair. On the next trip out, the engine rpms again dropped from 4000 to 3500 rpm and maxed out there. took back to the mechaninc, this time fuel pressure, ran engine on dyno and cylinder #1 spark plug was not firing. replaced all spark plugs, and cleaned cylinder 1 fuel injector. tested engine on dyno and recieved good report card. went out again and engine rpms went to 3000 rpm. what should i be asking the mechanic?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2011 200HO

A 5 year old motor with only a dozen hours on it means it spent a lot of time sitting unused and the gasoline remaining inside the engine probably turned to varnish in the vapor separator tank and the injector internals. Both of the those situations could damage a piston from running lean plus cause multiple injectors to not operate correctly or intermittently.

Is your boat mechanic employed by an authorized dealer and has current factory training school diplomas for E-TEC engines?  If not, find a knowledgeable dealer and a trained tech.

Chances are the 3 year required service was not done and it is almost due for its second servicing. The VST filter may need changing, and the fuel system should be monitored for correct pressures at all rpms and a vacuum test and bubble test performed. Insist on a water test with the tech after repairs are done to make sure it is running to your satisfaction.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

yes mechanic is an authorized service. he thinks its a bad injector, possibly sticking. suggesting to run oil mixed in fuel. i would like to agree with that, but not sure if it will loosen up the injector for the rest of its running life. si=oundsd like he is think like you. is there a way to run injector cleaners like in car. i was think of running a 5 gal auxillary tank  with injector cleaner. would this work? 

Highlighted
Admiral

Your trained mechanic should know that the fuel injector housings can be removed and the screens cleaned if he suspects varnish, corrosion, or debris in them.  Running with an inoperative injector could cause the cylinder to run lean and damage a piston.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

yes he said he removed the #1 injector and cleaned it, mentioned that there apepared to be wax build up. and blamed it on the oil I was using. so i wanted him to set up the engine for XD100 oil, but he wouldnt until he was confident it was out resevoir, so i complied. I had purchased a few large 2.5 gal quiksilver DFI 2 stroke containers not to save money as much as it is closer than his shop to my house. As far as a bad injector, I'd tend to think that if one is bad, then the others are right behind. thats why i ask again about cleaning them all thuroughly. .

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

There is a company that specializes in cleaning E-TEC injectors. It is not an Evinrude approved procedure but the business has a large success rate plus you get a printout of the original fuel  flow through the injector and again after it has been cleaned. Normally you see quite an improvement. Cleaning alone cannot fix a mechanically or an electrically faulty injector but works well on dirty or varnished injectors.

Your dealer can contact  EtecInjectors.com  or fuelinjectorman.com  for more information

The filter on the vapor separator tank should be replaced and the electric fuel pump removed and the screen cleaned out if needed. The boat's fuel hoses must also be inspected for cracking or deteriorating. Some brands over the years had the internal hose lining disintegrate and clog up filters and fittings with debris.

Highlighted
Captain

i removed injector and tested the ohms-2.9ohms. pulled injector using 1/4-20 bolt andinspected the screen, basically looks clean and there is no evidence of varnish. did evinrude have any recalls for the injectors in years 2010-2015?

Highlighted
Admiral

What is your model number and serial number ?

Highlighted
Captain

sorry for the delayed response. my mechanic found an issue with high vacuum measremnent from fuel supply, changed the pick up line and adapter at the tank, also replaced the barb fitting which he said was undersized for the tube size. He said some thing like the reading he was getting was 5 and it should more like 2-2.5. i then took the boat for a ride and the same problem reappeared in almost the same place out on the water. now he wants to go for a sea trial. it wont be for a few weeks as i have prior engagements.

Model number is E200DHXINE ans serial number is 1006841

Highlighted
Admiral

Your motor is a 2012 model.  Can you double check the serial number, please, it should start with a 5