Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2011 E-Tec 115 Noise & Low Voltage

Last fall I started to hear a loud ticking noise coming from the engine, because the motor was recently off warranty I had the motor checked out locally and they found that 2 of the 4 cylinders were losing pressure and upon disassembly found that the pistons were no good. Motor was repaired over the winter and when I picked up this May it worked great for about a month.

End of June, the ticking noise came back and when idling the low voltage light would come on. I returned to the docks (approx 15 minute ride), upon slowing down the the engine started to run rough and the check engine light came on. I have taken it back to the repair shiop that fixed it and they can not seem to figure out the problem. They say they have been working with the Evintude Tech department , but can't find the low voltage issue.

They have checked the flywheel, say they have checked battery and wiring.

Any ideas that would cause the same noise to return and this time cuase the low voltage issue as well.

Thanks

Captain

Re: 2011 E-Tec 115 Noise & Low Voltage

What is the low voltage fault please?  System voltage or battery voltage?

Skipper

They told me that the code was simply Low Voltage Fault, it wouldnt tell them whether it was system or battery. They checked all the connections, cleaned up the battery posts and cleared the codes and so far the lwo voltage code has not come back, however the ticking noise is still present.

They haven't taken it out for a good ride to see if the low voltage code will come back, becuase they want to find out about the ticking noise first.

Engine has maybe 300-350 hours on it , really frustrating.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The ticking noise could be a number of things. 

i'd inspect for loose  flywheel fasteners, the magnets and stator, upper main bearing, or a noisy injector. 

The gearcase problem or improper shift cable adjustment may also make a ticking sound when the motor is operating.

Evinrude diagnostics on a laptop should indicate where the low voltage originated.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

The flywheel has been inspected, injectors have been moved around and noise doesn't follow then.

They have ran the eventide diagnostics and tell me it doesn't tell them where the low voltage is coming from.
Admiral

Evinrude has a team of technicians for dealer support for cases of hard to troubleshoot motors. Ask your dealer to take advantage of the team for assistance in fixing your motor. It can be done by phone or email.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bill, They tell me that they have been in comtact with Evinrude Tech for the past 2 weeks and can't isolate the noise. I'm starting to think that I should have taken the boat somewhere else.

Skipper

They just heard back from the Evinrude Tech, they think it is the upper bearing, he tells them that it is common to make some noise, but as long as it is within tolerance then it is okay.

Not sure what to think now

Admiral

[ Edited ]

It may be a good idea for the technician to inspect the recirculation check valve, fittings, and hoses from the bottom bearing to the upper bearing to be sure there is good oil flow and no contamination such as water.

Has the motor ever been sunk, or ingested water for any reason?

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi Bill,

The boat has never been sunk or injested water. They tell me everything else looks good.

I took the boat for a good long ride with the owner ot the repair shop last night, everything ran good, no low voltage or safe mode, and the ticking noise seems to be much quieter now. I am wondering if the low voltage and battery corrosion issues could have anything to cause the noise to get worse.