2012 115 Overheat Alarm

Good afternoon, and thanks in advance for the help. The facts:

• 2012 E115DPLINE
  • 105 Hours
  • 300 hour service was performed
  • Serial # 05346268
  • New to me, prior owner kept it in great condition
  • I have put 10 hours on it
  • Operating temp at idle / slow speeds = 155-160 (1600 RPM-ish)
  • Operating temp at planing speed = 170 - 185 (3100 RPM-ish. Speed at this RPM is about 22 MPH)
  • 4 blade prop, unsure of pitch
  • 18.5' dual console Seaswirl boat. I don't think it is terribly heavy

On my last trip in a tributary of the Chesapeake, I received a high-temp alarm in the digital gauge. It did not go into a limp mode. I idled around, made some planing speed passes for about 20 minutes, and it did not happen again. The above temperatutes feel high to me though? Nothing blocking the intakes.

Challenges:

• I keep it a dry-dock marina, I have no truck to pull the boat to an Evinrude dealer. If you were me, what steps would you take to attempt a fix?

Request:

• I have saved for years for a boat, and I FINALLY pulled the trigger. Please help me save this motor??

Thank you in advance for your time; I genuinely appreciate having this resource available to me.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2012 115 Overheat Alarm

[ Edited ]

The temps are inline with a lot of boats. If the motor did not go into SAFE mode which is restricted to 1200 rpm, it did not overheat.

Did you or the dealer do the waterpump and service? Was only the impeller replaced or a whole water pump kit installed?

One way to check the health of the cooling system is to temporarily install an accurate pressure gauge and record the readings at idle and full throttle and at every 1000 rpm interval. Compare the readings to the factory specs.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Sounds like a loose liner in water pump housing.
Highlighted
Captain

You seem to indicate that it had one 300-hour service completed over the past 7 years.  I realize it only has 105 hours on it, but you should probably have the 300-hour (aka 3 year) service completed again to be safe.  My water temps go down as i go faster as the water pressure increases. 

If you're new to boats, make sure you're trimming the motor up when you get on plane.  This should help increase the water pressure and cool the motor more efficiently.

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Highlighted
Mate

Thanks so very much for the answer(s) guys. The dealer did the 300 hour service, but I’m not sure if the whole assembly or just the impeller was done.
Highlighted
Mate

Nordmann: is this something that I can check for myself at the dock or is this “bring it to a dealer” territory?

Any thoughts on whether high-flow intake screens should be tried as a cheap fix?
Highlighted
Captain

SST liner is located inside water pump housing. Sometimes sloppy on your model. Needs to be glued in with RTV.