Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2012 225 E tec RPM issue.

I have a 2012 225 E Tec with about 20 hours on it. When I first got it I was turning 5600 rpm at about 57 mph. Now I can't get more than 5000 rpm and 50 mph out of it. I have not changed the prop or anything. Motor runs great just not getting the rpms that I first did. Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2012 225 E tec RPM issue.

Have you changed anything in the boat? Added gear or installed extra batteries? You would be surprised at how quickly that weight can add up. 

The Postings on this site are my own and do no necessarily represent BRP'S positions, strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Mate

I added a power pole but that's about it.
Highlighted
Skipper

The next step would be to get the unit to an authorized Evinrude dealer, and have them inspect the engine for loss of power.

The Postings on this site are my own and do no necessarily represent BRP'S positions, strategies or opinions.
Highlighted
Mate

Do you think I could have my motor too low? I have a hydraulic jackplate with a 10 " setback. I have been running it at about 2.

Highlighted
Admiral

Take your motor to  a dealer to have it checked out to ensure each cylinder is putting out about the same power as the others..

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I had a similar issue with my older E-Rude on multiple occasions. Each time I checked the engine for malfunctions I was wasting my time. It was like a fine tuned watch.

Finally narrowed it down to the the last variable I should have looked at first (people always overlook the obvious). It was the fuel quality. My boat holds 124 gallons so I bought a large trailer to truck it to gas stations rather than fuel docks to save a boatload of money (pardon the pun). It wasn't until I happened to be driving past my big, "Brand Name" gas station at 3AM when I saw a "No name" tanker truck refilling the gas station underground tanks. I looked into the "No name"  fuel company and learned they purchase the remaining fuel and dreggs from the bottom of storage tanks at the fuel storage depots around the offloading ports in the Boston area and sell it to the big name gas stations at a much lower price. These gas stations are mostly adjacent to major highways where they don't usually expect repeat customers. Once I mixed the remaing fuel in my tanks with fuel from another station and used it up and started with new fuel from another station my engine returned to normal.