Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2012 E-TEC 250 H.O. Lower Unit Failure

Hello to all, I just joined here in hope that someone could guide me in the right direction. I just bought a tritoon with a 250 HO with 120hrs on it. I put 5hrs on it and it started to not want to go in gear. It would sometimes go in and other times it was a chore. I pulled the upper plug on the lower unit today and it was my worst nightmare, metal shavings all over it. I then proceeded to pull the lower plug and drain the oil. This too was all shavings and the oil was glistening with metal. I have only had the boat for a week and I don't know where to turn or what to do. I bought it from a dealer on consignment as is. I don't know if I can hold them responsible if bought as is. They told me everything was in good working order. I did not hit anything or ram gears in anyway. I just can believe that I damaged it in a matter of 5 hours of use. If anyone could help me in any way I would be eternally grateful.

Captain

Re: 2012 E-TEC 250 H.O. Lower Unit Failure

A shift cable that is binding can cause the gears to mesh slowly and cause gear damage.
You already have replies from two of the best techs in the world on the EOG site.
Admiral

Have a dealer pull the rear bearing carrier and inspect the gears and the amount of metal debris to determine what happened and if it is repairable.

Your other choice is to gamble on a used gearcase, a new one, or a factory rebuilt through your dealer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the replies. I have a few choices to make with repair. I am leaning towards buying parts from Joe at Advanced Marine and doing the repair myself. He seemed very knowledgable and said he could walk me through the repair if I need it.

Skipper

So, I just took the prop off and I found this already. This must have been done by previous owner as you can see the brass has a lot of oxidation. So much for the dealer saying it was in perfect working order.

20190605_132453 (1).jpg20190605_132510.jpg

Skipper

Any of the prop blades show damage?
The dealer you bought from may want to help a guy out, at least the hub assembly.

Highlighted
Skipper

No prop damage at all. Im thinkging a log possibly. I won't even get into the dealer sitiation. Let's just say they better hope I never see them again..