Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2012 ETEC 60 - 42 Hours and a few issues

Hi all.  I just purchased a new-to-me skiff with a 2012 ETEC 60.  I've always admired the ETECs so I was excited to finally own one.

After my second trip out in the boat, I went to flush the motor on the muffs and had a hard time starting it.  After a half dozen or so tries, I finally got it started after it seemed to surge a bit.  I then noticed some oil around the upper part of the lower unit.  Knowing the motor had never been serviced, I had already scheduled an appointment with my local dealer to have the service done.

Come to find out, the motor only has 42 hours on it but has some electrolysis on the lower unit, leaking seals on the lower unit, a leaking VST, and a leaking oil tank.  I'm just blown away that such a lightly used motor has this many issues.  Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas what could be the underlying cause here?

Also, the dealer doesn't think that Evinrude will do anything to help me out; however, I'm hoping they'd be willing to at least do something.  I spoke to Evinrude customer support and they indicated the dealer has to contact them and they can't work with me directly.  I love the mechanic, but I don't think he's really wanting to deal with the back and forth with Evinrude.  Any help anyone could offer would be appreciated.

Captain

Re: 2012 ETEC 60 - 42 Hours and a few issues

7 year old engine.

300 hours or 36 months service requirement. Whichever comes first. So this engine should have had 2 services already. One at 36 months and one at 72 months.

If this had been adhered to, many problems would have been covered under warranty.at services.

People get the wrong idea about old engine with few hours. It is better to have 30-50 hours pr. year rather than a few.

Storing dries up seals, insulation, rubber component and leaves the engine with very stale fuel. Probably reason for your starting problem.

If your mechanic has a reasonable relationship with Evinrude, he might be able to negotiate some assistance for you.

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2012 ETEC 60 - 42 Hours and a few issues

Completely agree on the service interval. I’m pretty **bleep** when it comes to caring for my stuff. Wish the previous owner felt the same way. Will have to get with the dealer, I reckon, to see if he can get with Evinrude. Hopefully we have everything addressed at this point.