Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2012 Gen 1 twin E-tec 150s will not crank

I have twin Gen 1 E-tec 150s on my boat.  They have about 700 hours on them and have been bulletproof.  I am convinced I did something to create this no crank condition.  I started the engines just prior to doing this service.

I was replacing my trim tab auto retract module so I was working on the wiring under the center console.  The module connects to the trim tab harness and it has a wire that gets 12 volts from the ignition circuit and a ground wire to receive the signal that the engine has been turned off.  I installed it using the same existing connections.

Now the engines won't crank.  All of the accessories work and the trim tabs work properly.  There is battery power to the solenoids on both engines.  I disconnected the two wire plug at the each of the solenoids and there is power to the plug when the key is turned to on and start.

I am very confused at this point.  I think it would be impossible for both solenoids to fail at the same time.  When I jump the solenoid the engine cranks but does not start so the battery is good.  Its 12.7 volts

I have checked the EMM LEDs.  They are correct for key on and key on with kill switch key removed.  All connections at the key operate correctly.  I checked the plug at the solenoid and there is 12.6 volts there when I turn the key.  I checked the grounds and they are good.

I removed the solenoid from the engine and put an ohmeter between the battery post and the starter post.  When I used jumper wires and a good known battery at the solenoid connection, it clicked and the ohmeter showed zero ohms.

Lastly, I removed the trim tab auto-retract module as a last resort and that didn’t do anything.

What could cause both engines fail to crank?

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2012 Gen 1 twin E-tec 150s will not crank

What you are likely missing is the start signal on the yellow/red wire. This wire goes out of the ignition switch, through the neutral switch on the throttle shift. Throttle/shift has a 4' wire pigtail that plugs to the back of the ignition switch and the wiring harness. Probably a bad connection there.
Yellow red then goes to the engine EMM to give a start signal. The solenoid plug has the purple , key on, power that you have verified. The EMM controls the ground on the other wire to activate the solenoid.
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2012 Gen 1 twin E-tec 150s will not crank

Thank you.  I saw those wires in the diagram and the in the boat.  There is one going to each key switch and there are two hanging free with an insulated female bullet connector.  From the wiring diagram on the service manual this seems normal.

Do you know on a twin engine boat whether there is a single neutral safety switch or one for each engine?