Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2013 Evinrude Etec 115

Hi all,
I have an Etec 115 installed on a 20’ RIB, I bought a little over 1 year ago and the engine has been giving me some issues since.

Some of the issues are:
Hard starting - sometimes 10+ attempts to get it going. The problem seems to be worse when the engine is warm.
Misfiring at idle (500 rpm), also misfires around 1500rpm-1800rpm. After that it runs perfectly all the way up to 5600rpm.
Engine stalling when going into gear. RPM drops to low.
Blackish and slightly wet spark plugs

I live on an island and dealer prices are high, I have been troubleshooting this issue on my own and it only seems to get worse as time goes on.

I plan to take it to the dealer to get the software updated and to also get an engine report.

So far I have done the following:
1. Replaced spark plugs and indexed them correctly.
2. Checked 55v circuit, all good.
3. Cleaned thermostat and pressure relief valve.
4. Cleaned exhaust backpressure fitting
5. Cleaned VST filter.
6. Changed Racor filter and fuel filter on engine.
7. Changed the primer bulb
8. Cleaned injectors.
9. Cleaned out engine with Etuner
10. New battery (no wing nuts)

After all of this nothing improved. The engine runs great above 2000rpm but I have no confidence that it will start again when out on the water.
Anything else I can try?
Captain

Re: 2013 Evinrude Etec 115

Check recirculation valves. X 3.

Mate

I removed and cleaned up the 3 oil recirculation valves today. There was nothing noticeably wrong with them.

Tested the boat again this afternoon, still hard to start and a noticeable misfire at idle.

I disconnected one coil at a time and the engine sputtered and stalled on 3 out of the 4 cylinders. When I disconnected the top right cylinder coil it made hardly any difference. When I unplugged the injector for this same cylinder the engine bogged down and stalled. Any ideas?
Captain

Next thing to do is get an engine report and post here.

Captain

Removing spark on a cylinder made very little rpm difference but removing fuel did?
Makes me wonder if you have a lot of carbon build up.