Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2014 115hp etec alarm/check engine light came on n went into safe mode

Well my warranty ran out LAST MONTH, lucky me, n wouldn't you know it, now alarm/check engine light came on n motor went into safe mode, it wouldn't accelerate, this has never happened before. So I turned the motor off n waited several seconds n it turned on NO check engine light came on motor then ran normal yay, however this happened several more times when I started it as We did not go straight home, on one occasion NOcheck engine light came on however the RPMS went very high, close to 6000 without being at full throttle?? So I stopped turned off motor again n then back to normal NO problem, stayed out a little longer n then heading in once again alarm/check engine light came on. Turned motor off n then on again n NO problem got back in motor running normal n full throttle, at home washed/ran motor n NO alarm/check engine light. Why did it keep going in n out of safe mode, n not just safe mode?, is there something I can do or do I have to take it to my dealer n then $$$ ???
Thanks Ray
Captain

Re: 2014 115hp etec alarm/check engine light came on n went into safe mode

You should take it to a certified tech to get any codes pulled and looked at.  Seems to be acting erratic.

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Admiral

If the engine raced with the throttle closed, then unregulated fuel leaked into the motor. It could be from a leaking lift pump diaphragm, a flooding VST, or an external gas leak that allowed fumes to be ingested into the motor.

Take it to the dealer right away for inspection, do not use it until fixed. Evinrude is pretty generous on participating in a normally covered repair if warranty has recently expired. Your dealer can contact Evinrude and plead you case.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Hi_c, n BluewaterBill.
One more thing guys my battery is 5 years old it has never given me any starting problems, I am going to change it anyways, however could it be the cause of the EMM sending mixed signal. Example going into safe mode n then after turning motor OFF n then ON, motor went back to normal ??
Highlighted
Captain

No

Captain

If the engine computer sees a sensor out of range you may get a check engine light and some conditions will put the engine in s.a.f.e. mode. Turning the key off then restarting the engine basically resets the code and the check engine light will not come back on until the engine computer sees the sensor out of range again. For example: if your throttle position sensor gave a bad reading at a certain spot you would get check engine/safe mode. After you shut off and restarted the code would not set again until your throttle moved to that same spot and stayed long enough to cause a code.
Without knowing what codes set you cannot know which circuit or sensor to test. As Bill said the sudden reving up needs to be checked. If you have a good relationship with your local dealer they may be able to help you at low cost.
Skipper

Thanks for the info/explanation Rick, makes sense.
I called my service dealer yesterday n they said they would call me back to let me know when I can go in, however they are normally really busy so lucky me, it's looking like labor day weekend in the keys without a boat, real bummer!!
Oh wait I have a paddle. Lol
This weekend I'm going to check all battery connections n all wires coming in n out of the throttle n motor, maybe there's a loose/short wire somewhere as I saw in another POST.
I will update after this weekend or when I go to the dealer.
Thanks again guys!!