Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2014 150 HO winterization issue - alarm horn?

[ Edited ]

I have watched severl videos on this, and see a couple of variations. With system check gauges, one of the videos shows the left 3 lights on (or flashing, depending on where in the winterizing process it was at), and the low oil light off. Others show all 4 lights on, or flashing.

First, for equipment, Engine Model: E150HGLAB, concealed side mount remote control, Faria system check tachometer, on a 2013 Glastron MX180. Set up for XD-100 oil.

This is the first winter for me, so first time winterizing an E-tec. When running though the winterzing as described in the owner's manual, after starting the engine with fast idle, the three left system check lights come on, and the tachometer does not read RPM. The alarm horn comes on when the 3 system check lights stay on. Lighs and alarm go off after 15 seconds or so. Return control to normal idle, and the lights and alarm horn come back on. After about 15 seconds or so, 3 lights and horn go off. Advance throttle again, and RPM increases above normal idle, and 3 left system check lights flash, and horn sounds on each flash of the lights. After a period of time (seems less than a minute) everything shuts off (engine, 3 system check lights, and horn). So, except for the horn, which is not mentioned in the manual, or present on any videos I have watched, everything seems normal. Why am I getting a horn, when the system check lights are on for the winterizing? Why do some videos show all 4 system check lights on or flashing, and one video only shows 3 flashing (right hand, low oil light off)?

I am wondering if the horn being on is related to a problem I had at the beginning of the season, towards the end of the break in period at approx 6 hours on the engine, with the low oil alarm. I will post that issue separately, rather than confuse this post with two topics.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2014 150 HO winterization issue - alarm horn?

It sounds like the engine winterizing procedure completed normally. As explained in answering your other question, your Faria gauge is what actvates the warning horn and is probably the culprit.  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for your help. I will check with Faria on this. What about the 3 system check lights vs. 4? I saw a couple of videos that showed just 3 system check lights on, like I have. One was a system check BRP tachometer.

Highlighted
Admiral

I will have to pay more attention to the lights next time

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Hello, this may be a stupid question...but I am also doing the winterization for the first time myself.

Does a 150 H.O. need to have the lower unit winterized, or is that part of the automatic process?

Highlighted
Mate

I found the answer on another thread, it's brand new and therefore won't require it for another 3 years...thanks

Highlighted
Admiral

It is aways a good idea to just crack the drain screw to make sure that there is no water or milkshake colored oil in it before you put it away for the winter.

Highlighted
Skipper

So, Faria agreed that it was quite possibly the tachometer, and promptly sent me a replacement. They indicated that there may have been an issue on some Evinrudes, with a certain production run of their tachometers. I installed the replacement in May or June, but assuming the problem was solved, never tested the winterizing until today. While winterizing, the horn sounds with the replacement tachometer, just I have described for the first tachometer I had.

Any thoughts?

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Since you wrote about this a year ago,  I   have heard from some other techs that they sometimes ecounter a brief alarm horn when  winterizing an  E-TEC engine.  They did not mention the name of the tach.