Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2014 25hp E-tec problems

As background, I have been using Evinrude/Johnson outboards for very close to 50 years, so obviously have been a satisfied customer. I took delivery of a new 25hp E-Tec Sept. 2014, with the primary use as a duck hunting motor, used about 3 months a year. I live in the midwest, so 10% etenol is a way of life, and use the dealer recommended blue Sta-Bil in every fillup. I use the premium XD100 oil, preform the winterization procedure before storing. I have been very happy with literally everything about the motor, but in Nov. of last year the motor went into the limp mode from overheating when traveling to the duck blind. My situation forced me to idle the motor to the blind, but was able to have it towed to the ramp and took it to an authorized service dealer. The dealer called and informed me the impeller had completely disintegrated and the thermostat plunger had melted. The shop replaced the impeller and plunger valve. After seeing the parts that were replaced, I started doing some research and found this might be a common problem and that there was a Service Bulletin No. 2012-03(s) issued.  My requests to have the diagnosis of the engine, and explanation of the repair were never answered by the servicing dealer. The motor did seem to run as good as always though after the repair. I am/was aware of the service required after 3 years of use and had planned on having it done. After the season ended the motor was winterized and stored until returning it to use in Sept  of this year. The motor started and ran great, but after about 2 minutes of run time it suddenly slowed to an idle, as if it were running out of fuel, but it has never stopped running. I put it in neutral and after a few seconds it would run as if nothing were wrong. The boat continues to do this every outing, we travel the same route and this occurs at exactly the same distance and behaves the same everytime. The gas tank appears to be functions as it's supposed to, I tried a new OMC fuel line, but the problem still exists. Any suggestions or help would certainly be appreciated, although I'm definiting finding a different dealer to have it addressed. The motor is still under warranty, model E25DTEAB, serial # 05386439. I had attempted to insert a photo of the damaged impeller and thermostat plunger with obviously no success. It is duck season, I need this motor to be dependable and in service everyday. Disappointed would be an understatement, not used to having motor problems

Admiral

Re: 2014 25hp E-tec problems

There is a software update for your motor that came out in March of this year. If it has not been done already, your dealer should refer to bulletin # 2018-01(W).   It improves electric fuel pump operation and may help with your running issue. Have the dealer check your engine fuel pressure and other items to troubleshoot the slowing-down problem if it is not from the motor going into SAFE mode.

You can find other dealers using the feature located in the Evinrude website.

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/find-a-dealer.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

My 2011 30 did something similar, but it would start running rough and quit.  If you run some fuel with a 50-1 oil mix and the problem goes away, the problem is likely the fuel pump. My fuel pump was just replaced and I'm going to add some 2 cycle oil in a 200-1 mix from now on. My motor also had water pump problems, and a pump kit I just installed a couple of months ago was replaced at the same time as the fuel pump, because it was a kit that had been replaced with an improved housing in the new kit.  You might ask if your replacement pump was the new version.

Captain

Does my 2011 E30dtel11 require that software update. Running fine at this point?

Admiral

@CoastalGuy wrote:

Does my 2011 E30dtel11 require that software update. Running fine at this point?

Your motor is not part of the updated software campaign.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I use Ethanol free good quality fuel 91 octane
and always keep 2+4 mixed in at the storage mixture.
Running strictly XD 100 with the emm set for that. Is mixing a small amount of the oil like 200 to 1 with the fuel worthwhile or not needed? Thanks Bill
Skipper

I'm going to mix 200-1 in my gas because one poster here said he had replaced several fuel pumps before doing that and none after starting adding the oil.  Using ethanol free gas should help also.

Admiral

That will add extra protections. Ethanol-free fuel does not guarantee trouble-free fuel systems, but it lowers the chances of having gasoline related issues. Unless it is near the end of the season where the boat may not be used for months, you can halve the amount of 2+4 Fuel Conditioner during regular usage.

Mate

My 25 etec misses at full rpm which feels like I’m only getting 3/4 throttle struggles to get on the plane with more than one person. Changed plugs. Had a service. Felt like a fuel problems like it was cutting out then going again under full load. Drained all fuel. Put 98 in. Have run it for hours to see if it would clear up but still no good. Have had it on the evinrude diagnostic tool everything looks perfect on there. Runs fine in the test tank but when I get it on the water it just misses. My old 15hp Yamaha used to go faster. Any advice appreciated.
Duggie
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Duggie wrote:
My 25 etec misses at full rpm which feels like I’m only getting 3/4 throttle struggles to get on the plane with more than one person. Changed plugs. Had a service. Felt like a fuel problems like it was cutting out then going again under full load. Drained all fuel. Put 98 in. Have run it for hours to see if it would clear up but still no good. Have had it on the evinrude diagnostic tool everything looks perfect on there. Runs fine in the test tank but when I get it on the water it just misses. My old 15hp Yamaha used to go faster. Any advice appreciated.
Duggie

Have you ever had any water pump or overheating occurrances with the motor since new?

Has the dealer monitored the engine during a water test using a laptop and a fuel pressure gauge?