Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2014 300 counter rotation Lower Unit 160 Hrs.

I was wondering if anyone could help. This past weekend while running in the ocean the port motor started making one hell of a noise. Shut it down and when tried to restart it would not turn over. Took the boat to a new mechanic due to the fact the last one left my boat a mess. He called yesterday and said several gears were broke and BRP would probably not cover it. He said I might have hit a coconut. I started to laugh. (Note: there was no damage to the lower unit or prop)Does anyone know the procedures for warranty? He said it could take an indefinite amount of time for BRP to respond and asked if I had insurance.

Admiral

Re: 2014 300 counter rotation Lower Unit 160 Hrs.

[ Edited ]

For a gearcase warranty claim a dealer must examine the unit for any abuse or impact damage first plus determine the cause, The propshaft cannot be more than .005" out of true and there should be no bent or broken skeg.

The dealer then contacts the Evinrude Dealer Support team for authorization and for shipping of a new assembly. Normally everything is approved during the phone call or within a day or so unless there are special circumstances.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

No bent skeg or dings on prop. Not sure what he is talking about. He was telling me sometimes BRP tells him to rebuild the LU. Is this true or do they send a complete unit

Admiral

It depends on the situation and internal damage

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the info. Just trying to see if he is on the up and up. He said several gears were broke off and the coconut thing bothered me.

Mate

Just talked to the guy he said he has pictures up loaded and is waiting on a call back. Does this sound right?
Admiral

yes