Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2014 E-Tec 115 cranks, sputters, but won't start

[ Edited ]

One of my 2014 115 E-Tec's was hard starting late last summer. Once it did start, it ran normally, made power, idled, and sounded and ran just like the other motor. I probably put well over 100 gallons of gas through it since this started happening so I don't think it's fuel quality.

After I got it running, I wouldn't shut it off until the end of the fishing day for fear it wouldn't restart while I was out in the ocean.

Now when I tried to winterize, it wouldn't start at all. It cranks well and just sputters a bit. It even sometimes sounds like it backfires. I swapped batteries, no difference. 

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Mate

Re: 2014 E-Tec 115 cranks, sputters, but won't start

I guess no one has any suggestions as to what to check or fix regarding the hard starting.The motors have about 300 hours.

The other motor is dripping cooling water down the head. By the time I found that problem, the saltwater rusted heads and spark plugs and made a general mess under the cowling. That motor still runs.  I was going to save that problem for a later post.

Skipper

Re: 2014 E-Tec 115 cranks, sputters, but won't start

#1 Have you checked fuel pressure at VST?  #2 Is primer getting hard when you pump it up?

I had a similar issue, it was low pressure vacuum lift pump that had a bad diaphram and would not keep vst filled so i had low pressure at vst. The primer would stay soft and gas would run out exhaust at prop from ruptured diaphram. It tried to start because ignition was working and it still had a little bit of gas in system.