Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2015 150 Etec Sporadic no oil alarm

I bought a new 2015 etec last year (in 2018). It was a couple years old but never used. Last year when I launched I got the “No Oil” alarm a couple times. Pumped the ball, turned off and restarted motor and would then run fine. After happening a couple times the problem did not come back for the rest of the season. This year I am four weekends in and the problem has come back. I’ll be running to say five minutes and the alarm come on. I slow down to idle, pump the ball, turn off and then restart and boat runs fine for rest of my 20 minute ride. That said it has happened a number of times now this year so thinking need to take it in to dealer. Curious if anyone else has had issue like this with the no oil alarm?
Captain

Re: 2015 150 Etec Sporadic no oil alarm

This can be caused by air bubbles in the oil line reaching the pressure sensor. Could be from loose hose connections at oil tank or bulb.
The first step is to run the self winterization procedure to flush the oil lines.
Admiral

Sometimes air bubbles can accumulate inside the curved portion of the oil primer ball and work their way up to the pressure sensor from vibration and oil flow. Before doing the winterizing to purge the lines. hold the primer ball vertical with the arrow facing upwards and squeeze while the motor is running to avoid flooding with oil. Continue running to clean out any extra oil and then perform the winterizing.

If the alarm reoccurs, then it is time for a professional to evaluate the motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Ok here is an update since the time of my last post. The no oil warning started happening with increasing frequency. Last weekend, on Saturday, it happened and stopping and restarting the boat did not clear the issue and I was stuck in limp mode. I putted over to a boat service business in the area (authorized evinrude tech in town of Kenora, ON). They hooked it up to a computer, cleared the codes, detached the sensor to blow out air, put it all back together and said they thought that should fix it. The next day, on Sunday, while driving to my boat slip to head back to town for the week, the alarm went off again. So I pulled the boat out and dropped it at the dealer that’s affiliated with the one I bought it from (also evinrude authorized). He said they thought is was a faulty sensor that needed to be replaced. They replaced it and told me they took it for a water test and that everything was now fine. I picked the boat back up on Friday and within about 3 minutes of putting the no oil light came on again. I turned the boat off and on and the issue went away. I thought it may have been just new oil running through the system from the work last weekend so we drove to our camp without any issues. We went for a boat ride on Saturday without any issues but then 2 alarms on Sunday while driving back to our boat slip. So I have dropped the boat back at the deal and will be calling him Monday morning to determine next steps. I will also be calling BRP to make them aware of the issue and see if there are any steps they should be talking to my dealer about taking in resolving this. It ridiculous that I’ve just dropped the boat at a licensed evinrude technician for the third time in a week to resolve the same issue, especially given I just bought the engine new last year. Has anyone experienced a situation like this with an essentially brand new motor that is having issues that mechanics can’t seem to resolve? Should I be talking to BRP about replacing my motor as this totally unacceptable? Our camp is in an island so I need a reliable boat to get our family back and forth.
Admiral

We are really sorry to hear about the ongoing oil alarms.  Here is the link to contact BRP Evinrude and be sure to include the motor serial number, dealer's name, and a brief history of the engine.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hi Bluewater Bill,
I didn’t see a link in your post can you please resend?
Admiral

@Mdixon wrote:
Hi Bluewater Bill,
I didn’t see a link in your post can you please resend?

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html