Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2015 300 hp g2 lower unit problems

Ok i purchased 2 brand new g2 300 right and left hand rotation. I have 45 hrs on both engines. The right hand rotation motor no problems. I just lost my counter rotation lower for the 3rd time in 45 hrs!!!!! Yes I did say 3 new lowers i been threw in 45 hrs. This is getting ridiculous... Thank god my dealer is fantastic and gets me back up and running with new lowers within 3 days. I am a patient man but this is getting very annoying. Anyone else having issues with counter rotation lowers? I wish evinrude would step up. I have always been a Mercury owner and liked the write ups i read about the new g2 so i bought 2. Starting to regret it.
Admiral

Re: 2015 300 hp g2 lower unit problems

3 CCW gearcases in 45 hours is not a normal occurance as there have not been problems with the gearcases due to their heavy duty design.

Did your technician tell you what failed in each one and was it the same thing every time? If so, there may be a root cause that has to be addressed.

Send an email to brp.care@brp.com with the serial number of the engine and let them know of your experience.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

My 250 HO has been great.
Skipper

Thanks for the info bluewaterbill. I emailed brp and they responded right away. Hopefully we figure this problem out.
Highlighted
Captain

I hate hearing that.  My G2 has been great!!  I'm sure it's something that can be diagnosed.

Ranger Ryan
Skipper

Well here we go again. 4 hrs into the new lower CR #4 and it went again. Evinrude is sending lower unit # 5. You would think Evinrude would figure it must be something else doing this and swap out a complete motor so they can check this one out under lab and controlled conditions. After all at $5000 per drive swap they already bought the motor back.
Admiral

Something is not correct if you have gone through that many gearcases.  The shift rod adjustment and the calibration of the electronic  shifting is very critical during installation and I'm hoping that the technician is double-checking everything.  Are the gearcases failing the same way each time?

Include the engine serial number and a brief history of your motor and send another email  to  brp.care@brp.com  to have them look into things for you.

What kind of boat so you have  and what kind of boating do you do? Is it normal fishing-recreation type of boating, commerical usage, or some other kind of operation ?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I have a 250 G2 with just under 37 hours. Lower unit was replaced 3 months ago, and yesterday had another failure yesterday. Going up the lake under 5000 rpm and motor all of a sudden reved up and boat stopped. Smelled oil immediately and after trimming motor up saw prop and entire prop shaft were gone. Didn't hit a thing. Are these motors too much for the lower units they put on them? Thank goodness for warranties.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Bassms wrote:
Smelled oil immediately and after trimming motor up saw prop and entire prop shaft were gone.

Did you have a genuine Evinrude prop or an other brand of propeller on it?  What is the engine model and serial number?

There was a service publication about  narrow thrust washers on aftermarket and competitor's props causing problems  and possible broken propshafts.

Mate

I would think that assembly has not been done right...