Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

2015 ETec 25 flush port question..did I hurt my water pump?

My motor just passed it's 3 year mark last spring and I had the full service with water pump replaced.

This fall I didn't get in to the water for last run and winterize.

I thought I'd be ok to run the motor a short while with a hose connected to the flush port in order to run the auto-winterize proceedure. But I didn't connect muffs to run water up from the pump..

It has occured to me that, while I likely had enough water thru the power head to ensure proper cooling, the water pump may have been insufficiently 'lubed'.

Is it likely that I may have damaged or at least prematurely worn my pump?

If I need to pull the lower unit and replace it for safety, I'd rather do it now than when the season starts and all the shops are backed up with work!!

Thanks, Doug

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2015 ETec 25 flush port question..did I hurt my water pump?

The flushing procedure is explained in the operator's guide where you can run the motor or not when using the threaded flush port and a garden hose.

As long as you had the water running before starting the motor, your winterizing was successful and you did not hurt the pump.  The pressurized water works its way down to the pump to lubricate the vanes for short runs at low speeds for such things as flushing out saltwater and winterizing the motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2015 ETec 25 flush port question..did I hurt my water pump?

[ Edited ]

Thanks Bill,

The manual seemed a bit ambiguous in it's clarity..that directly answered my question for future winterizing and running in the driveway!

To know the flush port can be used instead of the muffs is great peace of mind.