Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2015 Etec 250hp Fuel pump problems

Guys, 

I love the engine when she is running.  I bought an ETEC 250 in October 2015 , Since this time I have replaced Two internal Fuel Pumps on two sperate occasions. That literally seem to me melting.  When I open the inside of the fuel pump I see that its plastic not metal but its metal so much that it concerns me of a fire hazzard.

After the 1st week we never reached full RPM so we changed the prop (10 hours of use )  . Problem solved then we started having fuel delivery issues ( under 100 hours) , So the Team of Evinrude techs quickly responded and detemined we need a wider fuel line 3/8" and they added a inline fuel pump booster.  Problem solved.

Then in March after 150hours we had a fuel pump burn out which Evenrude replaced without even a question. One day later the same issue happens and the finding as per the local team is...

We need th move our fuel tank closer to the engine. Currently at 15ft on our 32' Cuddy. They will only replce it when we cut out our tank and move the tank closer to the engine Smiley Surprised

Is this really the issue?  .. I can not understand that Evinrude would design an engine with such limitation and no foresight that fuel tanks may be further than 8 foot away! 

So I asked "IF we do move our fuel tank and the issue still persist after replacing the lift pump AGAIN will the dealer or Evinrude shoulder and pay the unnecessary expense of moving the fuel tank which was never mentioned before?

Can this really be the issue? 
Does the Etec really have a maximum Distance?

How can we be certain prior to the trial ad errors at my expense.

Please help or comment if anyone has experienced this issue.

.IMG_0826.jpg

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2015 Etec 250hp Fuel pump problems

[ Edited ]

Having had  too small of a fuel line on a 32' boat concerns me. The industry standard is a 3/8" I.D. fuel hose and the same for the fuel tank pickup fitting. Who installed the incorrect hose size? There could be other non-approved items.

Has the fitting been removed and inspected for the correct size and for any debris?

The fuel system vacuum test and bubble test should be performed first by a trained tech to find out if there is a fuel delivery situation.

What is the motor's model and serial number on the engine sticker?

G2 Fuel Flow Requirements.JPG

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

I just had my boat repowered with a 2016 -250 hp E Tec - I called the boat yard who is installing my new E Tec only to find out that I have a bad fuel pump.  I sure hope I don't have any continuing issues like some of the other guys that posted previously.  I am really bumming out at the moment.

Highlighted
Skipper

Pumps do a great job of pushing product through a hose/tube.  However, they don't suck very well.  It is physically impossible to pull more than 1 atmosphere of vacuum on a line/hose, and most pumps will "pull" about 1/2 of an atmosphere.  The requiremet for adequate fuel pressure increases with electonically fuel injected motors.  You have to have a certain amount of pressure....and poor suction conditions (ie long fuel line runs) will always hamper that.  

I believe you said that you installed a separate fuel pump in the line.........where did you install that pump?  It should be as close to the tank as possible.  If it's mounted closer to the motor....it's in the wrong place.  The larger the fuel lines are, the lower the friction loss in the fuel lines will be, and the better the system will operate.  All fuel pumps depend on the fuel going through the line to cool the pump.  This is true for any pump in any situation.  Realizing that moving the tank may be impossible, your only options are to maximize the fuel line size, and to move any auxiliary fuel pump closer to the source of fuel.  

Highlighted
Mate

Hi
I got similar problem with my etec 90hp (2014) and 2 burned out electrical fuel pumps. One after about 60 h and the second right now after about 50h.
Is there any requirment on lift height on those pumps as well and what is the requirement in that case?

/Charles, (Gothenburg, Sweden)

Highlighted
Admiral

There is a maximum lift height of 30" and pulling the fuel into the engine is accomplished by the diaphragm operated lift pump, not the electric pump.

If you have multiple electric pump failures, it may be due to phase-separated ethanol gasoline, water in the fuel, or debris buildup.  A restricted return line fuel filter may also increase the fuel pressure adding more stress on the electric pump.

Aerated fuel from an air leak in the boat's plumbing can contribute to overheating the fuel pump.

Have your dealer monitor the fuel pressures at all speeds, use a vacuum gauge and a clear line to watch for air bubbles in the fuel and to check for any restrictions, and to remove and replace, if needed, the fuel rail return line filter.

If the pump failure happened within 1 year of purchase, the parts and labor are covered by the Evinrude replacement parts warranty.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I have a G2 200 HO.  I'm having intermittent fuel pump problems as well.  I bought the G2 in April 2016 and have had lots of problems.

My G2 Fuel Pump thread:

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Owner-s-Zone/G2-Fuel-Pump/m-p/28851/highlight/true#M9829

Sorry to change the subject:

The tilt on my G2 is set so that I can only raise it to set the trailering lever before the tilt stops.  This is to prevent water in the exhaust passages from from entering the cylinders and causing serious damage.  Is it ok to raise the engine that far up?

G2 200 HO

NauticStar 231 Coastal

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Your initial fuel pump question did not specify an Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard. It is always best to include a model number and a serial number in every post that is engine related.  There are no year designations after 2012, only model numbers - just like the rest of the outboard industry.

A G2 depending on the model number and rigging setup may have 2 electric pumps, 3 electric pumps, or 2 electric pumps and a diaphragm pump.

Water will not get into the exhaust passages when tilted as long as you allowed the motor to drain first and not with a garden hose connected to the aft flushing passage and flowing water.  Follow the procedure in your operator's guide to adjust the tilt limit height on your motor.

Highlighted
Captain

@BluewaterBill wrote:

Your initial fuel pump question did not specify an Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboard. It is always best to include a model number and a serial number in every post that is engine related.

I can provide what I have on model number on my other post when I have a chance.  Below is what the dealer identified as the model number on the purchase agreement.

@BluewaterBill wrote:

There are no year designations after 2012, only model numbers - just like the rest of the outboard industry.

There are year models associated with boats, trailers and outboards in certain states like Texas.

Here is a section of my purchase agreement with the dealer when I ordered the boat and G2 200 HO in January 2016.  Since I wasn't buying anything from the dealer's on-hand stock, I had to leave a deposit for the orders.  The purchase agreement shows I was ordering/buying a “2016 200 G-2”.   I was fine with waiting for the boat/engine/trailer to be delivered from the factories to make sure I got the latest boat/engine/trailer coming out of the production lines.

2016 200 G2.jpg

The NADA Guide also identifies the year model of Evinrude outboards. BRP/Evinrude advertises on the site. 

NADA 2017.jpg

It’s my understanding that corrosion and materials (like rubber, seals, lubricants, oil, etc) that degrade over time are some of the reasons older year model or manufactured products are considered to have a reduced value and not desirable when compared to new products fresh off the assembly line, in spite of what the marine industry is telling/selling to consumers. I already see cracks in the rubber seals/grommet used on the engine where the G2 side panels attach to on my 2016 G2 200.  I'm concerned that there are problems like this I can't see in the engine and aren't being detected during all the inspections that have taken place.  Corrosion in the fuel pump (since it doesn't work like it used to) has been a concern since observations I made when I got the engine back from repairs last August (just 4 months from when I bought the engine).  

seal cracks.jpg

@BluewaterBill wrote:

Water will not get into the exhaust passages when tilted as long as you allowed the motor to drain first and not with a garden hose connected to the aft flushing passage and flowing water.  Follow the procedure in your operator's guide to adjust the tilt limit height on your motor.

I have a question on the guide regarding flushing and maintenance. I'll post another thread since its not related to the original posters topic.

Highlighted
Admiral

See your dealer about the cracked weatherstripping.

Any corrosion inside an electric fuel pump would be caused by phase-separated ethanol or water contaminated gasoline and it is an owner's responsibility to provide clean fuel to the engine. 

Complete model numbers which are printed on the serial number sticker located on the motor are needed to reference the correct parts catalogs and service specifications. Due to the complexity and regulation changes required by Federal and State governments, a complete model number is needed for specific identification. No longer can an outboard be determined by a year and horsepower description.

Some states may require a manufacture's year and horsepower designation but that is for their own record keeping, not for technical identification as needed for service and maintenance.