Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

2015 Evinrude Etec 25 throttle linkage cable adjustment..

I am interested in knowing the method to adjust the throttle linkage/control cables.

There is a bit of play in the twist throttle and I wish to know how to tighten it up.

Any instructional information, videos or links to any reference material would be appreciated.

Doug

Admiral

Re: 2015 Evinrude Etec 25 throttle linkage cable adjustment..

What is the complete model number of your engine?  The marine industry does not use years to desgnate motors any more, it is all by model number now.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

The model number is: E25GTELABB
Highlighted
Admiral

Throttle adj for tiller 25-30.JPG

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Brilliant, thanks greatly..

The adjustment instructions you sent took away 100% of the free travel in the linkage..much better throttle feel!!

Now I know I'm being fussy, but there is about 5' of play in the tiller grip also..causes a click-clack when the twist is turned lightly back and forth.

I suspect I'm SOL on this one..but if there is an adjustment up in the grip also you'd be my hero!!

Captain

Actually, I retract that question..I answered it myself.

After removing the twist tensioner bolt, I pressed the 2 small circular tabs on the base of the grip..it slid off the handle.

This allowed me to see inside. There, the inner piece of the twist is in 2 halfs which simply slip off to reveal a double roller that actuates the cables..

A pretty basic design, but it alas no means of adjusting this piece to remove the small amount of play in the twist.

At least I know how to access in here now..I believe it would be beneficial for any owner to know how to do this to access and lubricate the cam to prevent the grease drying out and causing the linkage to wear or break.

So there you have it..thanks again Bill.