Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

2015 Evinrude Etec 25hp has erratic idle control issue.

I own a 2015 25hp Etec that I bought new. Model #E25GTELABB

As I've indicated in my previous posts I use it extensively for low speed trolling.

I love the "bump" switch that lowers and increases the idle speed in 50rpm increments giving absolute control over my trolling speed.

Starting last season I noticed occasional erratic events whereby I would tap the increase button and the motor rpms would jump up considerably more than the prescribed amount and I'd have to respond by turning the twist throttle down.

This season began for me a couple weeks ago and again I've experienced this but it is unquestionably getting worse. On my most recent occasion I had set the twist throttle to a base speed of approximately 1000rpm and began trolling. I then pressed the "+" to increase my speed 1x and the rpm jumped up to close to 2000 rpm...I pressed the "-" button repeatedly to attempt to reduce the speed and it seemed to have no effect. I had to twist the throttle back down to reduce then reset to where I wanted it.

There were about 3 such incidents on this particular day.

Bill had provided me with the directions to check and adjust the throttle cable free play previous my and I've once again done this, also check for any binding in the linkages.

This is clearly an electronic control fault or defective switch..

Please advise as my selling dealer is a considerable distance from me and if possible I'd like to resolve this myself.

Admiral

Re: 2015 Evinrude Etec 25hp has erratic idle control issue.

Only a guess, but according to your description, it sounds like an intermittent switch, perhaps a bit of corrosion got inside to the contacts. Don't overlook a loose or corroded connector socket or pin.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Is it owner serviceable or would endanger my warranty?

If it is any instructions to access and clean the contacts?
Admiral

Perhaps your dealer could loan you a switch to try out but it would be best to have the dealer troubleshoot the motor to find the exact faulty part because you said it was under warranty

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Well I guess I get to revisit this issue..still present as of end of season. But then did nothing before storing it..

In preparing for this coming I took it to the nearest dealer(not my selling) and had them do the 3year service as required by warranty.

Anyway I asked them to look into the issue with the erratic idle..they tank tested the motor and stated they found no faults. I insistently stated that I was sure there was something of an intermittant issue. I'm not imagining it!! Others have been in my boat and witnessed.

I requested that they take an educated guess and consider replacing the switch..it really does feel to me that the control system is simply not responding to the input when I press the +/-, or it leaps up or down in RPM far higher than the single press of the button would cause.

They contacted me a couple days later and told me they had checked with Evinrude and were told they were not to replace the switch since no fault was found during testing. 

Could this be true? Is Evinrude not interested in solving this issue for the client even if it does require an educated guess? We aren't talking about replacing the ECU or anything..just a cheap switch!

Or could it just be that since this is not my selling dealer they just didn't check or care enough to step to the plate on the issue?

Is it possible to check if an enquiry has been placed on this motor by using the VIN# 5413976, Model # E25GTELABB?

What is your take on this Bill?

Admiral

Please forward your inquiry and experiences with the VIN#, dealer name, and your contact information in an email addressed to brp.care@brp.com. They will investigate for you.

Captain

Thanks Bill, have done so..wait and see I guess

Captain

It sounds to me like the "bump" switch is hanging up (contacts remain closed) when increasing RPM and you observe the substantial speed increase.  When the switch contact remains closed, the RPM offset is ramped up or down until the offset has reached the limit(s).

Captain

My thought too!!

So an update to this saga since Bill's suggestion to contact BRP customer service. I wrote an email explaining my displeasure with the situation. Then the next day got an email back stating they were looking into the the situation for me.

I got a call today from the dealer that has my boat..seems they got a phone call from BRP. They have authorized this warranty claim to replace the switch and harness assembly.

The parts should be shipped to the dealer in the next couple days and the install might be done by the weekend!

Well done BRP..and thanks Bill!

I'm very happy with this resolution and I'm very confident it will fix my problem. Looking forward to trouble free trolling again...

Admiral

Glad to hear that things are in the works for you.