Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

2016 90hp throttle surging

Hello All

Got some GREAT news tonight,my dealership found a B/O capacitor,changed it out and water tested my motor with no issues.Will be picking up my boat monday morning and heading out to my cabin.Hopefully all is good now.Thank-You ALL for your support over the past 6 weeks.Hope everyone has a GREAT SUMMER.

Admiral

Re: 2016 90hp throttle surging

[ Edited ]

I'm glad they finally found and corrected the problem. The capacitor is an item that should be inspected early in the troubleshooting sequens and tested and monitored for a hard to find drivability problem.

It would have been found on the first test run by a tech with a laptop hooked up and monitoring the engine parameters when the motor ran rough. Without a laptop the tech could have monitored the 55V system voltage readings with a digital voltmeter and looking for any abnormalities or changes when the motor acted up.

Last Sat. my post to you mentioned that along with some other tests.

"The techs should be using the "flight recorder" feature from the diagnostic software to watch the engine parameters that may change when the motor acts up, as well as the vacuum, bubble, and fuel pressure  gauge readings and the 55 volt system voltage readings."

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Hello BluewaterBill

Yes ,you did mention this in all the tests that the tech should have been doing and as always throughout the 6 weeks that my dealership has been troubleshooting my motor,I would relay this info to them in hopes of helping the process along to which I believe they were not very receptive to any of my suggestions even though I told them the information was coming from extremely talented people on the E-Nation forum.It is unfortunate that some people will not take or at least consider some sound advice from experience.Once again,THANK-YOU for your advice and Knowledge.You are a Very Valuable Asset to this forum and Evinrude and I truly hope you are recognized by your peers in this industry for your contributions to helping the boating industry.

Best Regards:

Spion97

Admiral

I understand the mechanic not taking your suggestions seriously, especially from the internet which is full of misinformation and errors.  Not many are computer savvy where they know where they can share info or ask quesitons from their peers. 

Over the years I've learned things from both old timers and fresh out of training type of techs as different areas of the country (and world) have different problems and often different solutions.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.