Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2016 G2 engine shuts down

Well it is the 4th of July weekend and my 2 month old G2 200 just started having some problems. I have a little under 20 hours on the motor and until this morning the motor has been amazing, super fast, great fuel economy with amazing power. This morning when fishing offshore the engine just cut off. No warning or indicators. I turned the key on and off and the problem seemed to go away. As we ventured closer back to the ramp the problem became more frequent and threw a code 114 and 115 but not at a constant rate. We were able to limp back to the ramp but am out of the fishing game for the 2 days remaining of this long weekend. I checked all connections and they were tight, my dealer, Pete Jorganson in Beaumont TX, had some programming issues during initial rigging and I thought it was resolved. It took a lot for Pete to talk me into this motor and up until today I was elated with my decision. Right now I wish I would have stayed with a Yamaha, I ran a Yamaha for 11 years with zero problems, not quite as fast but never had to limp back and cancel a trip. I am doing my best to maintain a positive attitude and am hoping for a quick fix and long term reliabity. I have seen from several posts that BRP stands behind their products and I will post the results and diagnosis of this issue so that others can benefit.

Admiral

Re: 2016 G2 engine shuts down

[ Edited ]

We are sorry to hear of your experiences with your new Evinrude. The situations that you encounted with the motor are not the norm. Your dealer  should be  able to rectify the problems fairly quickly and has the support of the factory to assist in troubleshooting, if needed.

Control head software updates from the dealer alleviate the error codes as explained in a service bulletin that your dealer has. Bulletins also address under-torqued battery cable connector  studs on the motor and insufficient terminal contact with the key switch and purple wire, either of which could cause the motor to stop intermittently.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I'm right there with you. i had the same thign happend to me. Sounds like we'll both have our boats back up at Jorgensens. I bought my boat and motor in July of 2015. Had this issue back in December of 2015. No error codes on the Icon 7.0. Not sure what the rpm's were but I was running around 30mph-35mph in rough conditions and the motor shut off. Put throttle to neutral, turned key to off position, then back to on, cranked right up, and I was able to take off again. Took it to the dealer and he went through all the connections and couldn't find anything. Boat sat for a few months and then used it again with no issue. Then next time out the motor did it again. Always in rough conditions. The boat was at the dealer last week getting the Lowrance SonicHub replace and I had then make sure the Icon 7.0 was updated with the latest update. Well I went out today and it was windy and choppy out on the lake. Sure enough motor shuts down. Multiple shut down and restarts to finally get back to the boat ramp. This time I did get error codes. Code 114 (PBLC NETWORK COMMUNICATIONS) and Code 115 (PRVT NETWORK COMMUNICATIONS). I'm sick of dealing with this motor. When you're going 45mph and your motor suddenly shuts down and your son almost gets a face full of lean post, you get pissed pretty quick.

I was reading through some other posts on the etecownersgroup forum and came across a post about a guys engine shutting down multiple times while cruising at various speeds. The response from another person on that forum was this:

The issue you describe regarding shutting down is most likely caused by loose terminals on the key switch. The red/purple wire and/or purple wire connections may be intermittent. If either loses connection for 30ms, the stop command is sent to the engine. Slide the 2 yellow rubber sleeves away from the key switch & remove the 2 terminals. Squeeze the terminals slightly with needle nose pliers & reinstall to temporarily repair. Have your dealer order & replace the key switch assy for a permanent repair.

Hopefully replacing the key switch assembly will take care of this. I'll be making yet another trip to the dealership on Tuesday next week to drop the boat again.

Mate

This is the post I found about the key switch being the issue. It's about half way down the second page and he confrims on the 3rd page that it fixed the issue for him.

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/engine-shut-down-8048485?&trail=30

CapnDplum where are you at in setx? I live between Bridge City and Orangefield.

Mate

Well I was curious to see if the key switch was the culprit. Sure enough I went outside, unscrewed the key switch from the console so I could move it around and put the motor on the hose. Started the motor and shook the key switch assembly and the motor cut off. Started it back up and shook it again and the motor cut off. **bleep** you key switch for ruining my 4th of July weekend!!!!! But I'm glad I found the issue. I would suggest giving this a try.
Admiral

@chasintailzjay wrote:
Well I was curious to see if the key switch was the culprit. Sure enough I went outside, unscrewed the key switch from the console so I could move it around and put the motor on the hose. Started the motor and shook the key switch assembly and the motor cut off. Started it back up and shook it again and the motor cut off. **bleep** you key switch for ruining my 4th of July weekend!!!!! But I'm glad I found the issue. I would suggest giving this a try.

The improved wiring harness will have a green dot on the yellow terminal cover of the red/purple. That means there is an additional spring added to it for better terminal retention. Because you already removed the switch, you can carefully squeeze together the terminal sockets of both the red/purple and the purple wires for a tighter fit on the switch posts for a temporary fix for the intermittent engine stoppage.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response BluewaterBill. I appreciate it. Are the service bulletins available to the public or is it only something the dealerships get? I would think if Evinrude came out with an improved wiring harness to solve this issue, they would send something out to all G2 owners so they could get their boats back to the dealership or have the harness sent to them to replace it.

This is a huge safety issue!!! Someone will end up getting killed because of this. Lets say a boat rigged with a G2 randomly shuts down because of this faulty wiring harness, and another boat following close behind runs into them because of this. Obviously no one should be following behind another boat that closely, but you see it happen all the time. Another scenario would be like what happened to my 4yr old son. We were cruising along at 45mph, the motor shut down, and he flew out of his seat and into the lean post. He could have been seriously injured. Thank god he wasn't.

Skipper

I dropped my boat off this am and spoke to the owner Pete, he believes it's the key switch and says I can pick up the boat on Thursday. I sent him all of the info that was was posted here. Also, BRP assigned a case number and I requested all service bulletins that affect this motor. I will also request this info from Pete, if I get this information I will share it here and will also test run the boat immediately after I pick up the boat and post the results. So far so good......... Keeping my fingers crossed!

thanks for all the responses and advice. Good stuff!

Highlighted
Skipper

Success, I picked up my boat last Thursday as promised and they replace the key switch with the new one and did a software upgrade. Went fishing Friday and Sunday with no problems. I spoke with the service manager for a while, he pulled up my engine and showed me all of the service advisories that were on my motor. Overall I'm happy with the service and repair time provided by Jorgenson marine and BRP. If you do not have the key upgrade I'd call and set up an appointment. It's a dangerous safety problem and while you are there I'd be willing to bet that there are some software updates that your G2 needs. 

Good luck!

Admiral

Glad to hear that everything worked out and is running well.