Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2016 G2 engine shuts down

Sure is nice to know it was never an issue with the engine itself.  I know it still was an unfortunate situation for you. If it is any consolation, there is a 29 foot ribcraft where I live on Catalina Island with two 250 g2s (2016). They are at 900 hours with no problems to date.   Truly an amazing motor to me.

Highlighted
Captain

I have had problem after problem with my G2 200 including the 114 and 115 codes. I got the new switch and the second time taking the boat out, I'm still getting those codes. I've taken the boat to two platinum certified dealers to fix (Taken in for repairs three times). The last dealer I took the boat to said it will be three weeks before they can get to looking at it again. I asked the dealer if they could take a look at it as soon as I bring it in since this is a reoccurring problem that wasn't fixed and I already waited several weeks for them to fix it last time. He said I'd have to wait because it wouldn't be fair to the other people waiting. I've missed months of time using my boat because of problem after problem since I bought it in April 2016 and I now have to take it back a fourth time for repairs of the same problems. I had them do a complete safety inspection of the engine, rigging, software, etc last time I took it in for repairs. The engine only has 16 hrs on it.
Highlighted
Admiral

Hi 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Hi BluewaterBill,

I contacted BRP Care per your recommendation on another one of my older posts.  They say my ownership information is not listed in their system and to go to a dealer to update it and for any questions.  I emailed BRP Care back and asked what specific system I needed to be in so I could make sure the dealer put me in the right system, but BRP Care never emailed me back.  It appears BRP doesn’t recognize me as the owner of the engine on my boat.  I ended up taking the boat to a second Platinum dealer and they said I was in the BRP system and showed me the “Registration Inquiry” page in his system with my name and serial number I provided BRP Care.  I had the dealer perform a third safety inspection (the first two inspections were done by the Platinum dealer I bought the engine from).  The inspections included everything (top to bottom) including rigging, software, engine, etc. 

Here is a summary of the problems the engine reports (again, just bought it in April 2016 with 16 hrs on it).

Code 181 - 5 times – ETC Driver Short/Over Temperature

Code 161 – 5 times – Fused B fault detected

Code 79 – 2 times – Starter solenoid open circuit detected

Code 19 – 14 times – Attempt to start engine in gear

Code 180 – 2 times – ETC Running Effort Exceeds Limit (this happened more than 2 times while with the dealer on a test run); dealer reported the problems were due to a loose ethernet cable.

Code 114 – 1 time – Loss of Public network communication; I had gotten this code more than once before the keyswitch was replaced (but engine only reports it happening 1 time) and I got another network code soon after the keyswitch was replaced but couldn’t see which error it was (114 or 115 or both).  The messages would flash on and off and the sun shining on the 3.5” display made it hard to see but I was able to read “Network” before the message disappeared from the screen.

Code 115 – 1 time – Loss of Private network communication; same as the 114 code, I had gotten this code more than once (but engine only reports it happening 1 time) before the keyswitch was replaced and I got another network code soon after the keyswitch was replaced but couldn’t see which error it was (114 or 115 or both).  The messages would flash and the sun shining on the 3.5” display made it hard to see but I was able to read “Network” before the message disappeared from the screen.

I’ve also had one occurrence where the prop wouldn’t turn when going from neutral to forward or reverse and two separate occurrences where the engine just died with no alarms, warnings, codes being displayed.  The dealer contacted BRP and (per dealer) BRP said these problems were associated with a 114/115 code which the keyswitch replacement would fix.  I didn’t get any error codes when those things happened so that doesn’t make sense to me.

In addition to the above, I’ve also had problems where the oil level on the 3.5” display reports either 100% or 0% (nothing inbetween). The dealer said it worked when they checked it out (drained oil and filled it up - display read correctly). The oil tank is currently full so it reads 100%. I need to run the engine to see if it goes down…can’t do that until the network problems are fixed though. The second dealer did note that an oil line was pinched between the engine and the cover when they were checking things out so the oil line was rerouted.

Any suggestions on what needs to be done next would be appreciated.

I ran into a fishing guide that asked me how the G2 performed…he recommended I take the engine to a non-evinrude dealer that specializes in high performance engines instead of the Evinrude Platinum dealers. Would it void the warranty if I took the engine to a non-evinrude dealer and would the cost of repairs be covered under the warranty?

Highlighted
Captain

i do a bunch of work on n2k can systems on my job. being that the oil line was pinched or kinked tells me that the rigging on the motor was done sloppy. i would have the dealer check both the public and private network can bus cables for kinks and tight radius bends. also i would have him make shore that the terminator resistors and tees are tight but functional. can networks are great until someone gets sloppy has a bad terminator resistor or makes tight bends in the cable. also check the deutsch plug in the back of the gauge.if it does not seat correctly it will have either a slow or no communication problem at the gauge. the problem is that it might not occur constantly but under certain conditions will. my platinum dealer who did my re power explained a bunch to me about the way the engines 2 network systems preform.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to hear that you still have issues with your motor and I will forward your comments about the registration to brp.care@brp.com . It could be that the registration was not filed yet  at the time brp.care checked it.

There are service bulletins and service literature describing most of the symptoms that your engine experienced and the dealer can access them for reference. One in particular is 2016-05(S)  G2  Intermittent Shut-Off. Intermittent problems are the hardest to find and may take several tries to find and repair them.  There are also software updates that may or may not be required for your engine and controls.

Ask your dealer to also check the tightness of the battery cable studs attached to the motor frame - not just the battery cables themselves, as there may be some studs and nuts with insufficient torque from the production line.

Do not have an untrained mechanic work on your engine. First they probably do not have the diagnostic tools, troubleshooting software, or the knowledge of how the systems work and interact. Second the electrical system could be damaged and in some cases the warranty voided.

Each outboard manufacturer has their own proprietary systems and specialized tools and factory training these days. Today's motors are not the same as in years gone by where they could be fixed by a mechanically minded individual with a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench.

Have the dealer or his tech go for a ride with you to experience the problems that you describe.  If they do not give you satisfaction, please contact brp.care@brp.com again.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi ben22ee,

My name is Steve and I'm the Social Consumer Experience Lead at BRP - I'm sorry if there was a miscommunication between my support team and yourself. Kindly resend your VIN, your preferred (authorized) servicing dealer and any outstanding issues you might be experiencing to brp.care@brp.com, and I'll make sure we get this sorted out for you in short order.

Thank you,

Steve

BRPCare
Follow us on Instagram @BRPCare
Follow us on Twitter @BRPCare
Highlighted
Captain

BluewaterBill/Steve,

Thank you for the suggestions. I talked with a BRP Outboard representative about taking the G2 200 to a third Platinum dealer.  The BRP/Evinrude service representative was at the dealer when they worked on the engine.  The lists of problems were more than I had previously mentioned and have grown to include the following:

1. The newly designed keyswitch switch that was installed was determined to be faulty and the cause of the 114/115 errors again. The dealer said the engine was misfiring due to the newly designed keyswitch. The keyswitch was replaced again (3rd switch).
  2. Engine hours were incrementing when the keyswitch was in the “On” position and the engine was not running. The dealer said this is not how the engine was supposed to work. I tested this problem before taking the boat in and observed hours increment on the 3.5” display after turning the key to the on position without starting the engine. With the keyswitch replaced again (3rd switch), the engine hours no longer increment when the keyswitch is in the “On” position without the engine running.
  3. Error codes 203 (ESC Motor Open Circuit) and 204 (ESC Cannot Achieve Command Gear) were logged in the engine report in addition to more occurrences of the 114/115 error codes. I never saw the 203 or 204 codes on the 3.5” display. What is the cause/fix for these errors?
  4. The report also had knock values of 000000, 010000 and 110000. The previous reports only had values of 000000. Never saw any knock codes on the 3.5” display.  What do these values mean?

I picked the boat up from the dealer after Labor Day and took the boat out this past Saturday.   When backing away from the dock at @500 RPM, the 115 network error popped up on the display again.  Again, when I went to the 3.5” display fault page, there were no faults showing.   Another trip cancelled.  I put the boat back on the trailer (still in the water) and did all sorts of combinations of wiggling the keyswitch up/down/rotation, turned the engine off/back on/pulled kill switch plug/reinstalled kill switch plug/restarted engine, etc and didn’t see the network error pop up again.

It took a lot for me to convince my family that all the inspections had corrected the problems and things just keep getting worse.  My wife and kids are scared to get on the boat.  These are not the memories I wanted my family to have when we bought our brand new boat and G2 in April 2016. 

The rigging has been inspected multiple times including the connections that BluewaterBill has suggested and has been in for repair at three different Platinum dealers with BRP/Evinrude diagnostics and service representative support. What latent/permanent damage is possibly caused by so many errors/faults?  What is the value (in US Dollars) of an engine with 16.3 hours and all these faults/repairs performed?  What are other options are there besides taking the engine back to a dealer for repairs? 

Highlighted
Captain

Faulty keyswitch connections are known to cause a simultaneous code 114/115 fault and to cause the engine to shut down.  The purple and red/purple wires are the ones which would cause these issues.

The reported incrementing of the engine hours on the 3.5" display are nearly unbelievable.  This has never been seen before to my knowledge.  EMM software is responsible for incrementing the engine hours and should not increment unless the engine RPM is above 300 RPM as determined by the crank position sensor signal.  I can't offer any diagnosis of this particular problem.  The 3.5" instrument displays engine hours with 0.1 hour resolution.  Did it increment every six minutes or was the gauge not actually incrementing but changing values in a more random fashion?

The two ESC faults (203 & 204) indicate issues the EMM is seeing with the shift actuator.  They may be nothing more than an anomaly due to the EMM reporting loss of both the private and public networks.  It would be important to check the timestamp on these faults to see if they actually did occur at the same time.  If the public network failure (code 114) did happen at the same time, there would be no way for the 3.5" instrument to receive the ESC faults.

The knock values of 000000, 010000 and 110000 indicate that one and two cylinders were experiencing knock (as determined by the knock sensors) and the EMM has taken action to suppress the knock.  This is quite common to occur and is not a reason for concern as the EMM changes fueling, timing, etc. to suppress the knock.  You would be concerned if the Excessive Knock faults were stored as these mean the EMM could not eliminate the knock.

The zeros and ones are used to represent the six individual cylinders and their respective knock status.  Reading left to right, cylinder 6 through cylinder 1 are represented.  A 1 means knock control active.  In your case you had knock control on cylinder 5 and on 6 & 5.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Once again, please accept our apologies concerning this continuing saga of your motor situation.

Please return it to your dealer and also email   brp.care@brp.com  to inform them of this latest experience.