Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2016 G2 engine shuts down

Is it possible the software is counting the upper range limit twice in calculating EMM hours since that same RPM is the same lower number in the next range?  I would expect the RPM Ranges to be something like:

0 to 0400

0401 (not 400 again) to 0800

0801 (not 800 again) to 1200

etc.

Highlighted
Captain

The ranges or "bins" for the RPM profile do not overlap.  That is simply the labels used for each RPM range which is accumulated.  You should not expect an exact match between the Engine Hours parameter and the total of RPM profile seconds.  The reason is the EMM firmware does not store the clock (time) values at the exact same time or interval.

The RPM profile data is secondary in importance in terms of exactness.  The profile is intended for use in determining the typical usage of the engine, optimum propping, etc.  An even simpler explaination is the RPM profile can be cleared and started anew while the Engine Hours is a permanent record.  The factory clears all profiles at the end of hot testing the engine.  An 8 minute difference sounds about right for the time required for factory running of the engine.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Skipper

I to bought my eng from Pete had it for a year now and have some problems as I posted and feel about the same way just hope evenrude will do right by me and you check my post so you might know what to look at for future issues I kinda feel like a sucker and trying not to bad mouth anyone but it's hard.

Highlighted
Mate

Hello All

I have a new G2 with about 5 times on the water now, first day out the motor shut down for no aparent reason, started right back up and shut down again later in the day.  Made it back in time for weighin, glad nobody was behind me.  Second time out shut down at hole shot then shut down again at about 40 MPH then didnt shut down the rest of the day nor the next two times out.   However, today not only did it shut down but my son is stranded on the lake wihtout any reaction from the switch, motor or guages do not power up and trim doesnt work or even give a sign of turning on.  Almost like a main fuse or something is blown. 

read through all these posts and have talked to my son to see if the switch has a lose wire or something, Battery if fully charged and all other electrical works on the boat, not sure what else to do, called my dealer who is making inquiries.  Of cousre the main problem now is that with no trim and the motor down we cant load it to take it to the dealer.

Not a fun day and given my son fishes a lot of torunaments confidence in the motor is extremely important.  Was very high on the motor until now. 

any advice? does the motor have a main fuse on the engien or something? 

Highlighted
Mate

Please we need some help, have no trim, no power at all, turn key nothing happens, battery is charged, fuses all check out, terminals all tight, but nothing. So, we cant pull the boat out of the water and my son is in the middle of nowhere and no dealer to help us. Does the motor have some sort of manual trim? no switches work on this bran new 2016 G2 250HO.
Highlighted
Captain

This may be too late for you but here is a copy of my G2 200 manual saying there is a manual release valve.  Hope this helps.CCF10302016.jpg

Highlighted
Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your experience with the motor shutting off. There is service literature that your dealer should be aware of that may help with the issues that you are having.

Also there is a possibility that the battery cable studs on the motor could be loose where they mount to the engine frame which could give similar symptoms. 

Please contact your dealer to have your situation taken care of as soon as possible. If you have any problems, please email the engine serial number, contact information, and a brief history to  brp.care@brp.com .

Did you receive your operator's guide that shows the fuses and emergency trim release screw when you received your engine from the dealer?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thank you Bill, we did use the info and got the boat out of the warter with the manual trim and taking it to the dealer right now.  its really strange, the guages frooze right where they shut down and everything, all cabels tight everything checks out electrically from what we could tell so getting really worried but lets see what the dealer has to say, will remind him of the litiature.

Thanks again for you help.

Highlighted
Mate

I have a Evinrude G2 300. 100 hours old. I live in Sweden so we don’t have much of dealers for G2 here. I have never have so much problem with a motor like this! From day one I have this all network and connections problems. The boat have been at the dealer for at least 10 times. I think that the motor it self is very good but there is to much electronics that are making the whole system unstable. I will never buy a motor like this again because I want to run my boat not serve it all the time.
/Peder