Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

2017 115 HO Starting Issue

Posting this in hopes someone may know the answer.

Mostly on initial startup, engine will start immediately then die after 15-20 seconds. Engine will not restart. It starts and stalls or won’t start at all. Recycling computer doesn’t work. By moving gear shifter slightly too either forward or reverse, you can then get it to start. Sometimes either forward or reverse is not able to be shifted. Its stuck in that gear, possibly. It can take several attempts to get it to run. I believe what is happening is the engine will start initially but then gets stuck in gear.

The cable adjustment has been checked and verified.
I am taking it too another dealer also. It has stumped everyone, I've talked to.

Also this is my 2nd power head and the issue occured with both power heads. The replacement power head was fully dressed.

Thanks for any ideas.
Skipper

Re: 2017 115 HO Starting Issue

Sorry forgot the most important thing.
Model # A115GHLAFI
Serial # 05497489
Captain

For the starting then dying, as a tech I would check the vapor separator tank vent, software updates, system voltage, and capacitor connections.
Stuck in gear and moving the shifter slightly to forward or reverse sounds like an adjustment is not correct, possibly shift rod height. If the shift rod is not set correctly and a tech tries to correct it with cable adjustment, this can put the gear position switch off center.
Does this engine have a tiller or is it a BRP remote shift/throttle?
Skipper

Concealed binacle shifter.

I made this exact suggestion about shift rod height. My dealer told me it didnt matter. He could adjust for any variance with the cable.

I am going to a different dealer this week for a water pump change and to check all adjustments including shift lever height.
Skipper

The motor runs perfectly after you get it started.
Captain

Ask the dealer to check the 3 oil recirculation check valves. They can stick and allow excess oil to drain back into the crankcase causing a hard to start when cold condition. There is a TST (service tip) published on this. Also check for a recently released software update to improve idle performance.

Usually shift rod height can be adjusted out with the cables but if the shift rod is more than two turns off this method throws everything out of sync. When in neutral the shift lever on the engine that the cable connects to should be verticle. You can judge this by looking at the line where the intake manifold or case halves join together and see if the center line of the lever is parallel.
Skipper

Picked up boat last night from different dealer. They found the shift rod height in lower unit to be too high, while replacing impeller. They re-adjusted shifter trunion/cable also.
Hopefully this cures the problem. He test started several different times and said it fired right up everytime.
Dealer is 15 miles darther away but seems to know motors a lot better. I recieved an engine report also and everything looks good.

"NOT A RANT"
If there was anything Evinrude could improve on is better training and oversight of their dealer service tech's.

Thanks for your help!
Skipper

Wanted to update this post. My starting problem continues. The adjustment to the shift rod did not fix the problem. I have taken the boat to 2 different dealers 3 times. Unfortunately they cannot mimic the problem, since it seems to be sporadic.
Just to update the problem.
The engine starts then stalls after a few seconds. Then refuses to start after several tries. Slightly shifting into foward or reverse and back to neutral, allows the engine to finally start. Last time it happened it started after trimming the engine up slightly.
I took my ancor pole and was able to spin the prop in both directions, so its not completely in gear and the prop does not spin while cranking.
I removed the cowel and fly wheel cover. The flywheel spins when cranking. I do not see any excessive wear on flt wheel teeth.
My battery is brand new, charged fully, and has locking nuts. All connects up to statter are tight. Gas and oil bulbs are full.
I'm at a total loss. My work mechanic thinks its the starter hanging up. Thus the sporadic problem.
Also my boat is a bass boat, so the cables and wires are in the rigging tube that lays on the rear deck. Trimming up could be putting pressure in the shifting cables?

Thanks for any ideas......
Captain

The flywheel turning indicates it is not a neutral switch or gear position switch problem.
Here is a possible theory. The wiring harness is pinched at the engine grommet causing an open or short in the harness. Flexing the shift cable or trimming would move the harness inside the grommet. You may be able to pull 2" of wire harness into the engine to see if it makes a difference.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

QUOTE:

The engine starts then stalls after a few seconds. Then refuses to start after several tries. Slightly shifting into foward or reverse and back to neutral, allows the engine to finally start. Last time it happened it started after trimming the engine up slightly.

When you turn the key to START, do you hear the starter try to engage the flywheel or is there nothing happening but the gauges due turn on?

Your description of having to wiggle the shift lever suggests that the neutral safety switch inside the control box is loose, intermittent, or out of adjustment.

If trimming the motor higher or lower makes a difference, then maybe the wiring harness coming out of the engine has broken strands inside of it.

Is this a newer motor installed on an older boat or did you buy the whole rig as new?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.