Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2017 150hp Etech code 25 overheat

Model C150PLAAD Experienced this problem with less than 20hrs took it back to service and they replace waterpump based off the pressure reported to BRP. Less than 20 hrs later and same issue. The dealership no longer services Etec and took them 8 weeks to return boat last time. Called Evinrude they said closes certified Etech service is 30 miles from me. Brought it in and they said not certified on my model and it's a pain to work on. Now evinrude says take it 2 hrs away and that service department has 6 week backlog. I just want a reliable outboard. This is my first new boat and was a considerable investment for me ... is this common?anyone else having this kind of issue. Was thinking it could be rigging it's on a tunnel hull and doesn't seem to hit speeds I thought it would. Almost no steering in reverse coming off trailer. At 4000 rpm I'm hitting basically top speed of about 39 mph.
Alumacraft 2072 CC Tunnel hull
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: 2017 150hp Etech code 25 overheat

It's coming up high temp muffler engine reduced. Does it at cold start and will go away at times. Anyone seen this before?
Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

Code 25 overheat refers to the EMM. When EMM overheats it will slow down the engine to 1200 rpm.

You need to get this engine tested for aeration with clear hose connected from EMM cooling hose to EMM nipple. Can also be partial blockage of cooling water supply to EMM. Seeing exhaust muffler temp is high as well, indicates lack of cooling water.

The engine should rev out to 5600-5800 at WOT with 2 people onboard and trimmed out. Hopefully the 4000 rpm you mentioned is not WOT? What size prop and engine height? Can you see anti-ventilation plate on water surface at planing speed?

Water pressure at idle should be 5-8psi.  @5000-6000RPM: 24 to 40 PSI.  This must be tested.

Highlighted
Captain

I suspect that you have the 4 blade (RX4?) prop. It was designed for good bite/holding power in offshore conditions but does not have good reverse thrust.
A muffler overheat warning at cold start up tends to indicate a muffler cooling problem.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for replies. I've been wondering if this is the right fit for skinny water. Since running between 1 to 2 ft of water at times Scheduled a service appointment and info from this board can only help. May need to see if prop is right fit as well. Been reading that they will pick up sand and muck easily and cause restrictions and over heat issues. However this is happening at cold start... assuming they made a mistake when replacing waterpump first time it went to shop. First new boat and just never had problems with my last 2 boats that were used. Just normal maintenance ... Really didnt expect issues so quickly with brand new setup. Of course they made the Etech out to be better than the outboard I originally wanted that was 4 stroke.
Highlighted
Skipper

Rick do you recommend a 3 blade prop on tunnel hull?
Highlighted
Captain

Fishing 1, please indicate WOT RPMs and size of propeller as well as engine height.

Highlighted
Captain

I don't have much experience on tunnel hulls but I think you we would need a 4 blade for an engine that is jacked high.
Running in very shallow water is going to pump sand in any engine. As I recall the muffler has a spray tube inside to cool it and sand could stop that up. I believe there was an update on some mufflers to improve cooling.
Highlighted
Captain

Have you had this engine for 3 years with 40 hours running?

There is some littrature on Bossweb, fresh 2020, regarding 66* muffler mods. Get your dealer to check it.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank yall its sitting in line at certified Evinrude and this info is appreciated. I will discuss this with them and Evinrude BRP will not discuss anything with me until the tech looks at it. I'm surprised they will not considering they have had it in when it initially did this. Hopefully all will be worked out and will post results.