Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2018 ETEC 115 issues

The last six months my 115 ETEC 2018 model has had lots of issues.  On the first start after launch it takes 10 - 20 cranks to start, it has shut down at cruising speed, not started at the end of a long day on the lake, the no oil alarm and light has gone off and ton of smoke has come out of the engine. It has been in for repair numerous times but new problems continue to come up.  Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Admiral

Re: 2018 ETEC 115 issues

Most of the time a good technician with a laptop and required testing equipment can ride with you and monitor the engine and watch the diagnostic software screen and fuel pressure gauge when the problems occur.  That way the tech experiences the problem first hand as many times tank testing or quick water tests may not reveal the symptoms.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Is this a skillset you should expect to find at a deal or is a BRP support person needed? The BRP staff have been engaged remotely and little progress has been made.
Skipper

Captain

Any certified Evinrude technician at a dealer should be able to perform these tests. Like Bill said it make take running the boat and logging engine data with the diagnostic software to catch an intermittent problem.
You dealer should have performed the oil pressure sensor bleed procedure per the BRP service bulliten to remove any air from the oil system. If the oil pressure sensor gets an air bubble in it the no oil light will come on and the oil pump will go into maximum oiling mode to attempt to clear the sensor. This will cause excess oiling and engine smoke.
Skipper

Unfortunately the oil issue is only the latest problem to show up. The initial no start problem and others have not been fixed. Any recommendations on who is the best BRP contact to deal with an increasing issue list?
Captain

Is it a repower or new boat/motor?

Skipper

The new motor is on a 30 year old Ranger. It replaced the original 110hp Evinrude.
Captain

Being a 30 year old boat, I hope the fuel system was replaced all the way from the tank to the engine, as well as checking tank outlet and breeding. Requires 3/8" fuel line and primer pump.

Similar problems to yours have sometimes been the LP pump pulse nipples. When the engine is cold they stick properly, but when engine warms up they get loose due to heat expansion of metal and cause lack of fuel supply. There is a TST about how to fit them permanently with locktite. I have had a couple of cases where this was the problem.

As Rick mention, excessive smoking and oil alarm, especially on 60 degree engines, are very sensitive to air bubbles and need the proper factory procedure for bleeding the sensor. Winterizing or computer oiling sequence will not remove an air bubble.

Skipper

The fuel system and electrical systems on both the boat and motor sides have been tested many times.  The initial thought that the issues were on the boat side have been replaced with issues with the motor.  The most recent theory is the way the motor is driven is not in line with the design of the 115 ETEC.  Since I only run the motor in the higher RPM range a small percentage of the time, cooling vents are not opening causing fuel to vaporize.  Don't understand it all but this is resulting in the difficulty to start the motor.  New parts are being tried on the motor to compensate for the issues.  I am not happy since I thought I was buying a new reliable motor and had no plans to be become part of the BRP's test and debug team.  I am hoping BRP will be able to support this motor and find a way to compensate me for not being able to use my boat a good part of the first year I have had the motor.