Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

2018 G2 250 Hard start

Hello all, I am trying to figure out why I am having starting issues. I have fully charged batteries, clean cables, good battery switch. My engine will not turn over when I turn key to start right away if it does at all. I cleaned coonections under top of cowl just to make sure of good contact there too.. When I put my battery/starter meter across cowl terminals and turn key it drops voltage from 12.5 to around 9. Sometimes it will go ahead and kick over and other times nothing. I know it's still under warranty but local dealer is 7-8 weeks to get to it. Anything else that I can check to try and get my boat running by the weekend? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Spencer

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2018 G2 250 Hard start

I suggest a voltage drop test to find the connection that is a high resistance.
Put one meter lead on the positive cowl terminal and the other lead on the battery positive post. The meter should read no difference in voltage. Turn key to start and observe meter, it should read less than 0.5 volts. If it reads higher move to battery switch output terminal and retest. Also test the ground side cable.
One cannot say a battery switch is good without putting meter leads on the in and out terminals and checking for voltage drop under a load (engine cranking).
Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for input. I will test across switch this morning

Highlighted
Admiral

On some of the earlier G2 outboards the battery cable posts on the cowl would either loosen or may not have been torqued sufficiently on the production line. 

Also put the digital voltmeter leads on the battery posts, not the cables, and read the voltage when the motor cranks over or tries to. If it drops below 10 volts, it is either faulty or partially discharged. If there is more than about 1 volt difference between battery voltage and cowl voltage, there may be bad connections, cables, or switch (if equipped)

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.