Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

225 HO Lower Unit Gearcase Issue

I need some help on what direction to go with replacing the gearcase on my 08 E-Tec 225 with the L2 lower unit.  It has around 350 hours on it.  Rebuilding it will not work.  For one, It has a bulge on the outside of it. The engine has always been garaged so it can't be freeze damage so it must have overheated to cause a bulge like that.  I discovered the bulge while wiping it down after filing it up with fresh HPF Pro that I have changed religiously since I purchased the engine new.  The used oil was not burnt.  Two, BRP has superceeded the L2 with the heavy duty M2 gearcase so I don't think I could get a new L2 gearset.  Anyway the housing is warped and they don't sell those anymore..  On the Evinrude website a new gearcase is $6089.25 not counting a conversion kit they reference plus installation. So, a new gearcase is out of the question.  A new G2 would be nice.  Maybe next year.  What are my options?          

Admiral

Re: 225 HO Lower Unit Gearcase Issue

If you have a good relationship with your dealer or a trained technician, they may be able to locate a good used gearcase for your motor. You can also scour the boating publications and look online for used or rebuilt items, but know the risk of buying used even when inspected.  The M2 gearcase is very durable and would be the prudent choice in replacement.

Also check with your dealer for pricing on a factory rebuilt gearcase assembly. They are listed in the Evinrude Genuine Parts and Accessories Catalog that every dealer has.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

After a long stare at my gearcase I realized I have an L1 lower unit.  What is up with that?  I thought 2008 225 HO motors came fitted with the L2?  With only 350 hours and the care that I have taken it should not have failed.

E225DHLSCM  Serial # 05207461

Admiral

It appears that the early production 2008 225HO models came with the L1 gearcase, F and M models. Later production engines for that year came with the L2 gearcases.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Will I need to replace the relief valve due to the higher pressures of the M2?

Admiral

Pressure relief valve replacement is recommended and the new muffler system also. See your dealer as there are service bulletins about what is required for the changeover to M2. If you have a 30 psi water pressure gauge, you may need to upgrade it to a 60 psi model.