Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

225 HO Lower Unit Gearcase Issue

Hello everyone,,

I need some help on what direction to go with replacing the gearcase on my 08 E-Tec 225 with the L2 lower unit.  It has around 350 hours on it.  Rebuilding it will not work.  For one, It has a bulge on the outside of it. The engine has always been garaged so it can't be freeze damage so it must have overheated to cause a bulge like that.  I discovered the bulge while wiping it down after filing it up with fresh HPF Pro that I have changed religiously since I purchased the engine new.  The used oil was not burnt.  Two, BRP has superceeded the L2 with the heavy duty M2 gearcase so I don't think I could get a new L2 gearset.  Anyway the housing is warped and they don't sell those anymore..  On the Evinrude website a new gearcase is $6089.25 not counting a conversion kit they reference plus installation. So, a new gearcase is out of the question.  A new G2 would be nice.  Maybe next year.  What are my options?          

Admiral

Re: 225 HO Lower Unit Gearcase Issue

Overheating a gearcase will not cause a bulge, only internal damage or freezing would do that. Because a gearcase runs submerged in water, it is likely never to totally overheat but something like a bearing failure could cause a localized hot-spot internally.

Talk to your Evinrude dealer as he can order a factory approved rebuilt M2 gearcase through the Genuine Parts and Accessory Catalog that Evinrude puts out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.