Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

225 e-tec overheating

I am the owner of a 2009 225 e-tec.  At low or idle speeds the water pressure gauge reads about zero to 5 lbs of pressure.  The highest it will pump is at 12 lbs of pressure. After ten minutes of running at idle or low speed the overheat horn sounds.  The engine seems to be pumping water fine.  I shut the engine off for a minute or two and then go on my way at a little high speed and all is well.  Any help on this matter I would appreciate.

Mate

Re: 225 e-tec overheating

Have the same problem on my 2006 (225 E-Tec) that I purchased new with my Lund Boat 2006. Alarm would always

go off when I was in heavy water on the Graet Lakes plowing into the waves at 10-15mph for a several minutes or more.

Took it back to the dealer and they changed the waterpump and raised the engine about 1-2 inched. Thought it worked

for a while but problem came back. Now i just keep throttling a little up and down every 15-20 seconds in heavy water

and that seems to keep the alarm from going off. The sensor is apparently sensing a lack of water flow although the

water flow looks good. Not sure if there is an potential over-heating problem or the sensor is set wrong. Don't like

the alarm going off constantly so I try to avoid it as mentioned above. Just had my 300 hour/ 3 year maintenance done

(only 140 hours on engine) and other than the print out showing the alarm going off about 40 times, everything looked

good with the engine as I would expect. Other then that, I really like my E-Tec (PS - just took off my Merc 9.9 4-stroke

kicker (had reliability issues) and replaced it with a 2012 15 hp E-Tec).   

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The big block V-6 E-TECs require a minimum of 3-5 psi of steady water pressure at idle. Wear in the water pump housing is the biggest culprit after a few years of use. The thermostat condition, engine mounting and rigging, the pressure relief valve, and the thermostats' condition all play a part in the engine cooling.

Other factors are aerated water getting into the gearcase inlet screens due to boat hull design, transducers or speed wheels to close to the motor, etc. High flow water pickup screens are available to help in certain situations.

Work with your dealer's trained technician to troubleshoot and repair the intermittent overheating condition. Evinrude has a dealer help line for techs who encounter difficult or erratic problems with a motor or an application. Insist that your tech take advantage of all the help and service information that Evinrude has to offer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

RB
Mate

I also have an E-Tec 225 that had some overheating problems.   After contacting my service dealer and BRP,  they changed the blow-out springs in the thermostats  to allow the blow out valves to open at a lower RPM - opening at approx 4 lbs less pressure than the original ones.   I don't recall the amount of water pressure now needed to open the blow-out valves but it resolved the problem of overheating on my engine .   BRP recommended that change so they are aware of this situation.    I still watch the temp when traveling at rpms just below the amount needed to open those blow-outs.

I am sure that will help you also.

RB

Skipper

Put this on your yearly maintenance, remove thermostats to inspect and clean. I find them a bit dirty and corrosion build up each year. I do this each year when I replace the impeller
Admiral

Normally annual impeller replacement isn't necessary unless  you run in shallow water and the mud or sand wears the water pump rapidly. Inspecting the thermostats annually if used in saltwater is a good idea. Be sure to use Triple Guard grease on the plastic cover threads and the o-ring to protect them from the salt buildup.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

USA
Mate

I had this same problem. Technician had rolled an "O" ring it was sucking air. When corrected water pressure stablized and went to 15 psi. If your psi is low, probably is an O ring problem.

USA
Mate

I have an 2005 200 hp Etec. After I had two 3yr sevices done, I continued to have overheating problems and this continued until the tech. found an O ring rolled. Now i have a soft cylinder, 50psi. Could this be a result of the overheat although the computer shut it down immediately when hot?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

There were a couple of service bulletins concerning overheating with the early model 2005 engines. If your motor was affected, I would have hoped that the dealer checked over the motor according to the bulletin and the serial number range.

Multiple overheated conditons can affect the piston life in a motor of any make or model. Even if your outboard did not get hot enough to go into the shutdown mode, the internal engine parts would still be stressed. If the motor got hot enough for the computer to shut it down, then the pistons and other parts were severely stressed.

Mate

I have 2# new 2013 E-Tec 250hp.  The water pressure gauges (I-Command) reads 12 psi on the port and 6 psi on the starboard motor.  The dealer thinks it could be a barnacle issue?  Air bubbles?????????