Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: 225 e-tec overheating

The report from 2014 was with the old style intakes...we put new intakes (the ones that are proud on the engine) and a new impeller in it. It never heated up again but the EMM would heat up. I don't have any of those printouts....sorry.

Mate

Lund1950. I think there is a very slight chance that I now own the boat your blog is referencing to in 2011. Shoot me a text interested in the history of it.
937-309-5782

Lund 1950 Tyee Magnum. 2006 225etec, 2012 15etec.
Admiral

What questions do you have? What are the model numbers?

Sorry but we are not a concierge type of service website with personal attention.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I have a 2015 150etec mounted on a 24 ft Manitou pontoon. All bought new. It now has a glorious 34  hours on it, most of those hours according to service tech, motor was running on 5 cylinders due to bad coils. I say coil(s) because the coil has been replced twice and is now ready for a third changeout - if indeed that is what is happening. Whatever it is, I am getting 30 mph now when before I was getting about 36 mph at 6200 rpm. Issue starts with slow driving. Last time, it was with 2 hours of running since the last service last year. Boat picks up some weeds, which could be a coincidence. Intakes were plugged last time this happened but stream seemed good. Overheat alarm sounded. Same as each time before. Now boat manages the 30 mph. Anyway, I am getting about 2-3 hours each time before the issue comes back. Last service water pump impeller tech said was 'sorta melted.' I am 4 hours from nearest service and do not have much opportunity to make the haul. I have two other boats, driven boats for 40 years, and never had a heating issue, no matter where I took the boats. This is worse than jetboats. I thought I would post here as this boat has to go back and I thought my dealer might find something useful. 

Admiral

We are disheartened to hear of your Evinrude outboard having issues, especially since they repeat themselves.

An impeller that is "somewhat melted" is a symptom of lack of water for some reason. Likely it is from week blockage as you mentioned.  Once in a while on pontoon boats, the passengers congregate on the bow which can lift the motor partway out of the water and can draw air into the pump which does not lubricate the rubber impeller very well. We are not saying that was what happened, but it has at times on other pontoon boats that experienced impeller issues.

The pontoon boat slowing down from its top speed earlier in the season is often a sign of slime or aquatic growth on the pontoons over the summer. Even though it may not feel rough to the touch, any growth adds drag and will increase fuel consumption and lower the top speed.

What is disconcerting is your repetitive coil problem. That is not normal or even a known occurrence. Your dealer should contact his Evinrude support time for assistance in finding the cause.

If you cannot get things resolved with your dealer, please email  brp.care@brp.com with the engine serial number, dealer name, and a history of your motor as you mentioned here.  They will investigate and get  back to you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

So sorry sir, I was trying to contact the original owner in order to understand the service history. I am still fighting this overheating problem and would like to know what has been worked on after original production as things to inspect.