Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

25 HP E-tec engine performance upgrades

I currently own a 2012 25 hp etec. Love the motor, but like many owners, im always looking to bump up the power. I have read over and over that a 25 is a 25 and to some degree i agree, but is there any legal modifications that can be done that will improve the performance. I have patiently waited for my warrenty to run out before even considering this, but is there anyone out there that have made modifications that has boosted their 25 hp etec's performance. One of the things im reading about are Boysen Reeds. They claim to increase throttle response, etc. Does anyone have any experience. PMs are welcome.
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 25 HP E-tec engine performance upgrades

[ Edited ]

Hello,

The marine engine industry abides by the ICOMIA procedures for determining and advertising horsepower. There is a 10% plus or minus tolerance for propshaft power output. An advertised 25 HP outboard can deliver anywhere from 22.5 to 27.5 HP by this rule.

In the USA, the EPA has fines and possible jail time for changing power output or emission outputs on motors built after 1998.

Aftermarket reeds don't actually add HP to a motor such as yours but sometimes increases its drivability at low to mid speeds.

Because you have a 25 HP any mods that you perform will probably not be very noticable.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks for the info Bill. Like i stated in my original post, im looking for a way to LEGALLY boost my engine's performance. Thank you for the imput on the reeds, do you know what the difference is between these aftermarket reeds and the factory reeds. As for the performance mods, i find it incrediably hard to believe that there isnt someone out there somewhere that is legally modifing these engines to get more performance out of them. If it is a EPA issue and it cant be done, then how does Evinrude sell two different engines using the same parts. One is dialed up to be a 30, while the other is tuned down to be a 25. I completely understand your stance and im not asking you to share anything that would comprimise your position, just asking other owners if they have any experience with the matter.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Bamaduckhuntr wrote:
 Like i stated in my original post, im looking for a way to LEGALLY boost my engine's performance.

If it is a EPA issue and it cant be done, then how does Evinrude sell two different engines using the same parts. One is dialed up to be a 30, while the other is tuned down to be a 25.

A company or an individual cannot modily an existing EPA certified engine resulting in a change of power output or total emissions.

Evinrude certifies each engine family with the EPA so the 25 and the 30, being in the same engine family, do not exceed certain emissions output.  they are  3-star Ultra-Low Emission engines for the state of California and  approved and certified by the EPA for sale in the rest of the USA.  Europe has even stricter emission regulations in some parts on the continent  and the Evinrude E-TEC meets them also.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thank you Bill. It is clear you are a BRP rep. I completely understand your position and thank you for your time.
Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

Bamaduckhuntr,

I would think, as a purely theoretical exercise, that it may be (again, theoretically) possible to upgrade performance from a 25 to at least a 30. The mechanical platform of both engines are identical. Bore, stroke, compression ratio etc. all the same. The 5hp difference between the 2 models is in the electronics. EMM, sensors & possibly the injectors are all that is different between the 2 models.

This is a very cost effective boon to BRP/Evinrude. With the same platform & minimal cost, they send 1 motor down 1 line & fit it with just a few different electronics for a 25hp model and down another line for a 30hp model! They do this same thing throughout the whole horsepower line-up.

But the proportional, final sale price difference of only 5hp from the same mechanical platform, nets them a pretty handsome profit! That's some pretty savy business & accounting practices. Maximize profit from the least effort & cost. Unfortunately, in this economy, this has to be done to stay profitable & remain in business. Jercury, Yamahaha, Hornduah, Screwzuky & all the competition do the same thing. (Pardon the crude humor. I couldn't resist.)

But, you would only gain a paultry 5hp difference if someone did this!!! In the grand scheme of things, the performance vs cost difference would be little & too expensive to make it actually worth doing! Then there is the potential legal problems one might encounter!!!

The more practical thing to do, would be to trade in for a 30hp or more, if your max hp rating of your boat & pocketbook will allow.

Best regards,
Lakerider
Highlighted
Mate

I’ve been a certified master Mec for 30 years on Johnson an Evinrude products they had electrical issues and brp took them off the sand bar So your question is simple the engine is limited on power more air more fuel more power exp 115 -130hp Etec throttle opening was limited by cam for throttle pickup you can change it to 30 hp one if you ask for specific year change it yourself you will have your extra ten without the stickers an cert labels but who would know just you if you sell take it off tell new owner how to mod no risk no prob I do have a 3.3 mod to 375 hp but you couldn’t tell by looking at it Greg
Highlighted
Admiral

The 2012 Evinrude E-TEC 25 and 30 HP  use the same throttle cam.

The Evinrude E-TEC 115, 115 HO, and 130 use the same throttle cam also.

Highlighted
Captain

@Skeger wrote:
I’ve been a certified master Mec for 30 years on Johnson an Evinrude products they had electrical issues and brp took them off the sand bar So your question is simple the engine is limited on power more air more fuel more power exp 115 -130hp Etec throttle opening was limited by cam for throttle pickup you can change it to 30 hp one if you ask for specific year change it yourself you will have your extra ten without the stickers an cert labels but who would know just you if you sell take it off tell new owner how to mod no risk no prob I do have a 3.3 mod to 375 hp but you couldn’t tell by looking at it Greg

You must have retired before the direct injection engines came into existence. The only differance between the 25 and 30 HP platforms (which are mechanically identical) is the engine map. This is burnt into the flash of the EMM when the engine is manufactured, and can be changed with an upgrade procedure. It could be modded to another higher HP map, but there are measures in place to prevent this.

Highlighted
Captain

As muskiemouth said, the ignition timing and fuel flow is programed into the EMM. Any physical engine modifications that increased air flow would result in a dangerous lean mixture.