Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

25 HP ETEC water pump problems

[ Edited ]

I am the second owner of a 2015 25 HP ETEC motor that is on its 3rd water pump with very little usage.  The mechanic says that Evenrude has a problem with the ETEC water pumps and they typically get about 50 hours on a water pump, typically a water pump should least 300 hours on a water pump.  Has there been an upgrade on their pumps so I do not have to worry every time I go out if I am going to get stranded.  It's really too bad because the only reason I bought Evenrude is that they had the best name out there for motors, it's looking like I was wrong, please prove me wrong.

The number I have off the engine is an engine family # FBCXM0035220 Model E25DGTLABF 

Thanks for you help in advance.

Captain

Re: 25 HP ETEC water pump problems

The pumps were upgraded with new housings about a year ago. Note that the water pump kit has to be installed and not just a new impeller.
As a dealer tech we find many owners do not follow the flushing procedure in the owners manual about taping up water relief holes when flushing on muffs. We recommend that customers use the rear flush port instead of muffs to prevent any problems.
Mate

Thanks for the update.  I was just reviewing the  engine identification report and it shows that my engine only has 96 hours on it. and this is the 3rd water pump.  Do you think if they changed the whole housing and impeller that should have eliminated the failures.  The dealer I sent it to seems to be a straight up dealer who would repair it properly but not entirely sure.  

Mate

The part number that they installed #5008191 is obsolete and has been replaced by another part number 5008972, do you think they are installing old part numbers?  Maybe the new part number is the fix for the bad water pumps.

Captain

As you wrote: 5008101 is obsolete. Install 5008972.

Highlighted
Skipper

After chronic impeller failures and 'fixes' including all the new pump parts, it was only fixed properly when 4 holes under the anti aeration plate were plugged by the dealer per Evinrude input. They were new holes added to Etecs, and not on the original lower units. They didn't test the change well enough, leaving many of us stranded on the water because when we used reverse, it ingested exhaust bubbles, starved the impeller of water and destroyed it. Backing away from a dock would do it, as would backtrolling.......

Mate

Like to have bluewaterbill in put on weegee99 post