Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: 250 ETec Blown Lower Unit

Exact situation happened to me with my 2012 ETEC 300. Almost the exact same symptoms except no warning horn. It was  Catastrophic failure of a gear (pinion?) in the lower unit it almost came thru the side of the aluminum casing. I Heard banging and clang and difficulty getting in gear..limped into harbor and finaly gears in lower unit seized entirely ..very lucky made it to safety as ocean winds picked up.  Engine has about 530 hours. BRP came through and covered the lower unit for all except the labor. Very happy but I have to say my confidece is a shaken a bit as i go 30 miles offshore to fish.  I hope this is the end of such bad things happening. I have the engine serviced at the end of each season by a platinum Etec mechanic too.

Admiral

Pinion breakage on the M2 gearcase is pretty rare unless the engine hit something at one time and a small crack developed or was run aground.  The M2 has beefy gears and a good reputation for durability.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

A lot of failures in this post. I guess it's mechanical but do you guys replace your gear oil at least once a year? What gear oil have you been using? How does it look when it comes out?

I'm no expert but If it's black it should be changed more often.

I switched to Mercury Racing gear oil since my warranty has expired.

Evinrude and even Mercury High Performance seemed to turn black early.

Admiral

turning black after some hours of use is normal for Evinrude oil and some other makes as it is due to the additives.

If the oil turns black with a strong odor, sometimes like rotten eggs, then the oil has been either overheated or run too long where the anti-wear additives are depleted.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

My ETec 300 is serviced at the end of every season by a Platinum dealer, that's a pretty expensive service often around $600. I see it as an imsurance policy. This past week I saw our harbor master's boat in for service..lower unit was off on his port engine. Surprise..lower unit failed. His boat has twin 250 Etecs.

Captain

I used to change my LU oil every 50-75 hrs. It's a small price for such a critical piece.
Even w my new G2 and I can see the oil color, I'll still replace it at least every 75 hrs