Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

250 ETec Blown Lower Unit

I recently had my brand new E Tec's lower unit catastophically fail during a vacation in the Keys. Just turned it over to the dealer for repair. I guess I will find out how good the warranty is in a day or two. The engine has 120 hours and has run great except for this poorly timed failure. I hope BRP will make it right. Anyone else have any lower units come unglued?

Admiral

Re: 250 ETec Blown Lower Unit

What is your engine's model number?

On some of the 3.4L  250HO's, they are replacing the Lightning gearcase with the more robust M2 style. Later model 250HO's come standard with the M2 lower unit.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

The engine is 4 months old. It has shallow water pick ups on the bullet. The model number is DE250PXIN.

Admiral

Your motor came with the M2 gearcase from the factory. It is super rare that they give problems, you didn't hit anything or run aground since you had the motor, did you?

As long as the propshaft is not bent from impact damage, you should be getting a brand new gearcase installed shortly.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I don't think I hit anything. There is no visible damage on the prop. The guys at the service center that I brought it to seem to think it will be covered. So I guess we are waiting to see. Overall I am happy with performance and the fuel efficiency of the motor.

Highlighted
Admiral

After the gearcase inspection by the dealer, the tech calls the factory dealer support line to initiate the gearcase claim. It is usually approved on the spot and a new gearcase assembly sent to the dealer right away. If there are special circumstances, then it may take a few days longer.

Mate

Evinrude came through. New lower unit installed and ready to go in less than a week. No cost.

Admiral

Congratulations

Mate

[ Edited ]

I just lost the gearcase in my 2012 225HO with 56 hrs. on it. Shifting was sticky on ocassion, motor missed a couple times while fishing Friday, looked at it and thought wth, as it turns out, must have lost a tooth or bearing was locking up. Next time I started it and went to take off, it let out several clunks and clanks and killed the motor. I thought it was the motor, so restarted it and could definetly hear the noises coming from the gearcase, stopped the motor and limped in for 2 hours on the kicker, Thank God for a 15HO kicker motor.

Piece of metal, am sure a gear tried to come through the case, don't think there's much savagable, dropped off at dealer yesterday, mech is on vacation till 13th, so have to wait till then. Service Mgr. said hopefully BRP will just send complete lower unit and bolt it up and go.

I sure hope nothing was damaged in the powerhead when the gears locked up and killed the motor a couple times.

Frustration!!

Mate

Shift fork failure, lower unit was replaced, works slick now. Had a guy call me to tell me about the same problem on his 2012 250HO w/ 10 hrs. on it, shift fork failure also, how long will this go on, is what I'm wondering.