Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: 250 ETec Blown Lower Unit

Lower Unit on ETEC 250 HP Failure

Was fishing last Monday when I had an issue with my ETEC 250. All of the sudden motor would not go into gear in forward or reverse. Needed to be towed back. Motor would start but wouldn't go into gear.. Once towed back to marina. Motor again would start but and would go into forward but not reverse. Could hear clanking sound when it went into reverse. Shut the motor down. When I tried to restart it wouldn't restart but gave engine warning sound and message on I-Com gauges. Dealer pulled off the lower unit and thinks it may be the lower unit that failed and feels I should be covered under warranty. . I am still covered under original warranty and also have 2 year extended warranty. Motor only has 502 hours on it and had the 300 hrs of service done @ 279 hours. I certainly hope I am covered under the warranty. THis was one of the main selling points for me when I bought the motor. Hope to hear back from dealer later this week. .
Mate

Folks,

Nice to see Evinrude is coming thru for you folks on the warrantee.

For a motor that is out of warranty - does anyone have a recommendation on where to go for a lower end rebuild kit?  Seals, water pump set up, etc.  ??

Should i just go to local dealer or.................... is there THE DEALER nationally to go to??  (Something like Collins Brothers Jeep in Dallas if you are looking for Jeep stuff (that was not meant to be a plug for them)).

Thank you,

Jim

Admiral

Which gearcase do you have, or at least what is the engine model number?

What happened to the gearcase to need fixing? Has the propshaft been checked for being bent?

The factory sells rebuilt gearcases for most types. See your dealer for pricing and availability.

There are no rebuild kits, only seal kits and water pump kits - the tech selects whatever parts are needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I just had this happen in Canada two days ago, had to cut the trip short and get towed in. I also have low hours, I called the Ranger dealer where I'd bought my boat new in July of 2012 and he said evinrude only has a three year warranty so best of luck to me. I've never hit anything with it, as a matter of fact the prop is the original as I fish mostly deep water walleye lakes. Is there really nothing Evinrude will do?

Mate

I was referring to the post by mtwarrior btw.  His situation was nearly identical to mine including the the 15 horse kicker limping me along till the resort boat found me.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Ask your dealer to contact  Evinrude dealer support to inquire if there is any help that the factory could offer, even though the engine is out of warranty. This is assuming that the propshaft is not bent and the skeg is in decent shape.  

You can also contact After Sales support at 844-345-4277 with your serial number and name of the servicing dealer.

If the shaft is bent or if the skeg shows damage, you may want to talk to your insurance agent about underwater hazard coverage.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Well as it turns out I contacted a different dealer and they ran my serial #. They stated that I have the extended warranty so I might be in okay shape. I've never hit anything as i'd stated before I only fish big water for walleye (Lake Michigan, Lac Seul in Canada, etc) even the original prop looks great  so I think I'll turn out okay.  I was wondering some other owners have stated something about the "beefier" lower unit, if my motor doesn't already have it can I opt to put that one in? even if it were to cost me extra I'd be interested just for the piece of mind.

Admiral

We are glad to hear that you are still in coverage as that should be a relief to you. If the gearcase is to be replaced as an assembly, it will be the M2 Magnum lower unit. Your dealer will advise you of what they found and what Evinrude is going to do.

Mate

Guys, know this trail went dead a while ago but here is my story,

I have a pair of 2006 Etec 250 on my 29 hydrasport.

About a 100 hours ago i had a lower unit fail on the counter rotation motor, and had it replaced with a brand new evinrude lower unit.  Last evening the unit failed again, i was actually was just spining the boat at slow speed, put the one engine in reverse and the thing went. I didint hit anything , barely moving.

I was told that the lower units on the co ro side have had issues and since i replaced it last time they have gone through 2 more part changes to the M2 version.

I was also told that the new gear when io bougt it carried a 5 year warranty. at the tune of 5 grand for just the part i dont want this to be a regular occurance.

Any one have any experience with these issues?

thanks

Admiral

Your 2006 Evinrude E-TEC outboard came with the original M1 gearcases. A few years later the M2 series was introduced. The M1 was good and the M2 is better plus it has the low water pickup holes in the nose to allow the motor to run higher on the transom for better top speed.