Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate
Accepted Solution

250 Etec G1 upper motor mount bolts snapped

[ Edited ]

The two upper motor mounts on my 2005 250 Etec snapped off the other day.  This caused the motor to angle back slightly jamming the shift rod in the swivel tube and we almost smashed into the dock.  This motor only has 115 hours on it.  Doing a web search and talking to three local dealers I have found several cases of this happening.  I'm not sure if this was limited to early model Etecs or others.  I assume there was a defect with the bolts.  I bought two new bolts from my dealer ($25 each) and I plan on repairing the motor this weekend.  My quetion is how do I know this is not going to happen again? This is clearly a big safety issue and I'm wondering if others have experianced it.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 250 Etec G1 upper motor mount bolts snapped

[ Edited ]

What model E-TEC motor is indicated on the serial number plate?

Which part number bolts did you purchase and did you obtain new washers for it?

There is a special procedure for installing and torquing the motor mount bolts. Refer to the proper service literature.

Because the bolts broke, the engine motor mount could have been stressed. It would be best to have the powerhead removed and the mount replaced. The shift rod should be inspected for bending and for proper height adjustment.

We recommend that an authorized dealer with trained technicians and the proper equipment perform this type of repair.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

[ Edited ]

My model and serial # are: E250DPXSOC #05101257

The bolt part # is:

I have the factory service manual.

I know there is a service bulletin  2012-03(W) that applies to newer motors for this issue but I can't find a copy of it

Highlighted
Mate

I replaced both bolts this weekend.  Both bolts failed under the bolt head. Inspecting the bolts revealed the bolts had been completely broken for some time while the other one was cracked through over 75% for some time before the remaining portion of the bolt failed.  This is clearly a sign of the wrong alloy bolt or a manufacturing defect.  The new bolts appear to be a different alloy.

I tried unsuccessfully to post some pictures.

Highlighted
Admiral

wingtime wrote:

My model and serial # are: E250DPXSOC #05101257

I know there is a service bulletin  2012-03(W) that applies to newer motors for this issue but I can't find a copy of it

The service bulletin was only for a specific sequence of serial numbers for 2012 motors that did not have the mount bolts torqued correctly on the production line. The LocTite used on the threads prevented the accurate retorquing of the fasteners, thus the need for new bolts.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

hey I have the same issue how did you go about swapping the bolts? did you have to remove the power head?

thanks,
Tommy