Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

250 G2 Plug Change

Is there any video or instruction available which shows proper proceedure to change out the sparkplugs in a G2?  I read some where that it can be a challange to get at one or two of the plugs on the port side of the engine.  Any tips or pointers.  Motor has 350 Hours and a ton at under 1000 rpm.  I have the correct plugs just dont want to run into any unexpected surprises.

BTW, This is far and away the finest outboard motor I have ever run and Ive had plenty!  Thank you Evinrude!

Admiral

Re: 250 G2 Plug Change

[ Edited ]

Your dealer can order a factory service manual for you if you plan on doing work yourself.

Chances are your motor is still in its initial 5 year warranty period and the dealer would perform needed work for no cost to you if it is a covered item.

Port Spark Plugs
Remove the spark plug leads from the ignition
coils.
Use an 8 mm socket to remove the screw and
washer from the ignition coil mounting brackets.
Move the ignition coil and bracket assemblies to
the side as shown.
Remove the spark plug leads from the spark
plugs.
Use the spark plug socket and a combination
wrench to remove the spark plugs.

Installation
The cylinder heads of Evinrude E-TEC G2 models
are manufactured with indexed spark plug
threads. QC8WEPI spark plugs do NOT
require indexing of the spark plug.
Set spark plug gap on new, replacement spark
plugs.
Apply Triple-Guard grease to the gasket surface
of the spark plug.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

This is BS!! You can’t change the plugs without pulling off both covers disassembling the back show cover by the exhaust and disassembling both shell casings that should be a hood instead of those fancy shells. Evinrude got this one wrong that’s for sure and we are the guinea pigs, all for some good gas mileage. I am a charter captain and have put 340 hours on mine in two months. I have already had to change The plugs, and they were really fouled from trolling and idleing over wrecks. I am already changing them again. Performing the service over the water is also an extremely tricky task. And just so everybody knows the factory index there plugs, they had black marks on them when I remove them, and the new plugs must be indexed for optimum performance. At least this time the spark plugs have thicker crush rings which give a Longer turn allowing them to reach the injectors. I was told by Jami in claims and Keith Moody of BRP that they can be changed without The disassembly of the shell casing, they were told that by their technical team. This is bs. The shell casing MUST BE REMOVED to get to the starboard plugs.
All I know is that those fancy covers allow water to come in on the h/o version unless you add separate o-rings to each one of the poorly designed latches. I used to have to change and index my plugs on the previous model of the 250 e-tech and changed the plugs every 100 hours. This adds up at $100 a change. It used to take forever to index plugs as many didn’t fit any cylinder.
The job took 2 hours with a hood cover like every other outboard made for the last century. This change hurts with the new caseing which even with easier to index plugs still takes 2 hours or more due to the fancy caseing instead of a WATERTIGHT HOOD!!
I’m waiting for a response as they are on vacation still. BRP needs to think about American worker, and consumer again and not the money. Good ideas just bad execution in exchange for looks. Let’s go BRP. Recall and exchange would be responsible of them or st least own up to their mistakes. I’m changing the plugs again in a day or two.
Captain Bill Pappas
wpappas3@cox.net
Admiral

If you use the recommended Champion sparkplugs with the letter " I " at the end, there is no indexing needed, both the plugs and the cylinder head threads are "timed" to work correctly.  If you use the regular plugs without the letter " i " at the end, then you have to index them the same as required with the DI motors for the past 20 years.

On the 3.4L Evinrude E-TEC G2 motors, you only have to remove both side panels and the plastic brackets on the port side only. The plugs are then all accessible  An experienced tech may do it in under 1/2 hour or so or a diligent DIY type in 1 hour if they follow the service manual.

If you are fouling plugs, there may be a thermostat problem not warming up enough or debris holding them or the pressure relief valve open. There is also a software update for certain motors with plug fouling issues. Talk to your dealer to see if yours is included in the campaign.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

G2 sparkplug change 2.JPG

G2 sparkplug change 1.JPG

Captain

"All I know is that those fancy covers allow water to come in on the h/o version unless you add separate o-rings to each one of the poorly designed latches"

Are u talking about the 1/4 turn latches?

The inner seal should prevent water from getting into the actual engine.

Running in saltwater...

In talking with my mechaninc he did reccomend that every trip or every other trip, when u have the side covers off to rinse inside the engine right against the lower inner cover. He said he sas seen salt accumulate there.

Mate

I just did the plugs in my 225 g2.Took about 45 minutes.Just move the coils to the side.Simple.
Captain

Have not done mine yet but this looks like a good guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDxb8MM-7ts#action=share

Mate

Sorry Bill a 1/2 hour is absurd. Unfortunately my Dealer and service shop said it was impossible to do the port side without taking off the whole shell. Lynnhaven Marine Virginia Beach. I have changed the old style 10 times and this brand new g2 2028 250 h/o twice already in 400 hours. Constant idling and holding the boat over ship wrecks adds a bunch of carbon on the plugs causing a miss at 150 hours until they are changed.
About the salt water. Here’s a picture of my “brand new” motor.sorry I can’t show all the rust caused and the deposits left on every spark plug.. the inner shell doesn’t provide a good seal period. The old style hood needs to come back. Keeping salt out is number one fir anything mechanical on the ocean. It’s not ok to have it inside, it’s not normal or acceptable. I wish I could share my photos for anyone to see what happens with this new cover style. Should have been noticed in testing, and evaluation. Not in the field on full time Charter captains boats.
Mate

Finally got around to changing the plugs, lowerunit lube and fuel/water sep  filter.  Thanks to everyone on here for the mhelp.  I did all jobs in about 90 min and Im no mechanic.  this board is the best and these motors are great.  This was easier than getting to that bottom plug on the optis for sure.

I will agree with the comments that the motor cover is not the best at keeping water.  Looks like last time dealer took the side covers off he let the gasket seal get off the spot its supposed to be and its clear much water got in.  still best IVE HAD.  THANKS BRP