Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

250 G2 bogging down on hole shot

I have 250 G2 that is starting to have trouble getting my Ranger 520 on plane. When I first bought the package the engine would bring the boat on plane between 3 or 4 seconds like a rocket but about a month ago on initial startup the motor would just bog down at about 1200 to 1400 rpm and not advance the RPMs. After I tried a few times to come uo on plane ,it was like I turned a switch on and the boat flew on plane with no problems for the rest of the day. Each day I tried to start my day on the lake it was taking longer & longer to get the motor to advance RPMs. Before I took it to a platinum dealer, I tried to take the boat out  one more time. I let it warm up at the dock for 20 minutes before I headed out and had the same problem. Atfer about 30 minutes of running around I could finally bring the boat off plane and come back on plane normally. Engine is not missing ,no trouble starting, and performs perfectly once on plane. No codes or warnings have ever appeared. I gas up my other boat at the same place as this one and have had no problems and have used this gas station for years since they are the only ones tha carry non-ethanol gas.  I took boat to dealer and they cannot figure out whats wrong.They talked to BRP and they said I was not letting engine warm up properly.As you see earlier I allowed amle warm up time and I live in 97 degree Florida. Hope someone out there knows what is going on with engine. engine serial is 5421469.Help or suggestions would be greatly appreiciated.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 250 G2 bogging down on hole shot

See your dealer or find another who is familiar with the G2 outboards.  Depending on your model number there are some service bulletins that may apply to your engine and take care of your poor acceleration.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Did the6 ever figure out the issue? Mine is doing the same thing

Highlighted
Skipper

Was running 26 inch raker 2 prop. As water warmed up in summer it grabbed too much to allow engine to gain proper rpm to get on plane. Went to raker ho with variable vents with same pitch and opened all 3 vents wide open. Boat on plane in 3 to 4 seconds and problem solved. Wot remained at 5950 although I lost about 2mph on top.
Highlighted
Mate

Did you get your bogging hole shot resolved. Did you try the raker h.o. prop. I'm having the exact same issue. Thank you
Highlighted
Mate

Sorry That last message was meant for Bhall947.

Basssantafe are you still running good with the raker h.o.?
Highlighted
Skipper

Still good with a raker ho no problems
Highlighted
Mate

Okay thank you. Guess I'm going to give that a try. frustrating the way it is now.
Highlighted
Mate

I tried out my new raker ho yesterday. It was like a flip of the switch. I feel like I have a new boat again. Thanks for your post basssantafe.
Highlighted
Skipper

I am glad it worked for you good luck