Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

250 H.O stalls

Hello

My 2008, e-tec 250 H.O starts fine and it runs fine until  it goes more than 4.000 rpm. After a minute  running over 4.000 it stalls. The bulb is not flat but soft. Then I have to pump it and try to start it for a few minutes. It starts after that procedure every time but  with the above described problems over 4.000 rpm again.

Anyone who knows what to do?

serial no:05228519

Thanks

Johan, Sweden

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 250 H.O stalls

Your description of the problem is a classic case of a lack of proper fuel delivery. Most likely there is a restriction in the system but also there could be a weak or partially plugged fuel pump.

A dealer tech should be easily able to troubleshoot the whole fuel system with a pressure and a vacuum gauge and a piece of clear hose.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Ok, thanks, it is now at auhorized mecanic. I will return if it wont work after that.
Highlighted
Mate

I am about to order new lift pumps. However they are really expensive over here so I hope only one is bad. Which one shall I start with?

Highlighted
Admiral

Your mechanic should determine which one is bad. You can also test for a bad diaphragm in either pump.

Lift Pump Diaphragm Test

Perform this test only if a damaged pump is suspected.

This test does not check the performance

of internal fuel pump check valves.

Remove both pulse hoses from the crankcase fittings.

Apply 15 psi (103 kPa) to each of the pulse hoses

of the pump. Replace lift pump if either side of

pump fails to hold pressure.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.